Quake proofing tanks.

the new guy

The Feb Aquarium World also had an article about it, with comments on what happened in individual cases. These were taken from previous threads in this forum related to the September quake so do a search. 8)

Basically, those tanks on solid, wooden stands (or solid furniture) seemed to fare best, especially those with a lip around the edge to hold the tank in place.

I have to say, I have seen a dozen more instances of destroyed tanks this time (fortunately not my own 18.gif) and there are a few things that stand out as possible problems that could lead to failure:

1. Inadequate glass thickness and/or tank bracing

2. A stand without a lip that prevents the tank from slipping off

3. A stand with a small footprint compared to the tank/ inadequate support of the tank

4. Top heavy stands

A couple also had ornaments/rocks that were tossed against the glass, cracking it.

sometimes it just dosent mater what you do ..... in a quake as violent as tuesdays one it may not make any differece at all , our cats are in a cattery out in kaiapoi atm the woman who owns it had a 200kg plus granite shelving unit fall over. her husband was in the room he said it was if someone picked up off the ground and threw it

The Feb Aquarium World also had an article about it, with comments on what happened in individual cases. These were taken from previous threads in this forum related to the September quake so do a search. 8)

Basically, those tanks on solid, wooden stands (or solid furniture) seemed to fare best, especially those with a lip around the edge to hold the tank in place.

Hehe in this last quake you just described the tanks that smashed at my place. The tanks on weaker stands or those without lips all survived.

Basically those with lips must have developed some momentum which forced them over. Those without lips just slid and we were able to rescue them while they're hanging half off the stand. My Juwel Trigon 350 was only just pivoting on the stand when I got home. It was a good 40cm over the lip of the stand.

well i have to admit a lip helps but so does a $10 warehouse book shelf this tank enede up cracked at the bulkhead fitting have a look at this

DSCF1325.jpg

this tank didnt have a lip it fell the same way as everything else in the room

DSCF1338.jpg

it was pretty upsetting, but im over it now and the house is all cleaned up and carpets clean and dry just very empty we are watching a small tv and two bean bags instead of a couch we will get a new one soon enough will get another marine tank later on too (mite have to bribe the landlord before i get another tank though :roll: i think possibly the weight of the tanks might have something to do with how they fare i have a 5.7l tank that didnt lose a drop or even move and its on a dodgy bedside cabinet

that is a real shame spoon! when you told me about your tank i thought it was amazing.

those are great tips for tank stands i still need to built a stand so i will take on those pointers, especially the lip. and a large foot print.

i had to return the New Heliea tank i bought, which the pet shop i went to requested i do. so i went on a shopping spree and got another style of tank.

I am sorry for everyones losses

as you know I have 70 tanks a mix of glass and poly

lost a few fish each time and a few cover glasses.

havent lost a tank yet

not sure what I have done differentlyto others.

Good teacher i guess

over engineer tanks

brace tanks

poly under tanks

stands braced to walls in fish room and 5cm from walls in house ( independent movement??)

not sure why else

25k damager form last one

floor rippled like waves and busted TnG left right and centre this time.

might be right off with 2 added