New to the Fish fun

tabrat

New to this site, so go easy on me. My wife and Myself have been looking at fish tanks for years as we have young children who luv to visit pet shops, we some how came away with a 160 litre tank this past week-end, with the idea of getting some tropical fish. Obviosly will be uterlising pet shop staff help in the purchasing of fish/plants etc. But thought i would get some advice from the knowledgable people that frequent this site. Am looking at idea's of some good mixes of fish and plants quantities that some people have thrieving out there with a similar size tank. Have read afew books quickly and will be reading more over the next few weeks. Will be building things up slowly, so even a fish that is a very good starter fish. Thanks in advance. :o

Welcome. The key to successfully getting a tank up and running is in your own post - "Will be building things up slowly".

Think about what sort of look you want.

Do you want lots of live plants or a rocks-only look?

Do you want a good number of small fish darting about or a few larger ones cruising by?

Are you thinking tropical or cold water?

Freshwater or marine?

Read up on how to cycle a tank before you start buying anything. By "cycle" we mean building up the good bacteria in your filtration system so they will neutralise the bad stuff that will grow in an enclosed system, like your aquarium.

Ask all the questions you like. As said, we aren't trying to sell you anything!

Whereabouts are you? If you go the User Control Panel you can add your location to your profile. There is possibly someone near you, or an active fish club, who can help you start your journey into fish keeping by offering hands-on help, or some established media from their filter to help your tank cycle. :wink:

Don't forget to use the search function as you may find many answers in previous posts as someone will have asked the same things!

I would like to say that we do have some good people in some fish shops! It is just that a newbie has no way of knowing which people they are :wink:

Too often we have had someone following poor advice from a pet shop, leading to all sorts of problems.

The key is to research first so you can decide if the information being given sounds like it is accurate.

Ok, rocks are in tank is clean, will venture in deep over the week-end with water and free plants i will recieve from the pet shop, free when buying tank, is there any plants better than others for the learning tank?? oh well might have a tank full off water by the end of the week-end,, any plant ideas and good fish to start with please let me know Cheers.

New to this site, so go easy on me. My wife and Myself have been looking at fish tanks for years as we have young children who luv to visit pet shops, we some how came away with a 160 litre tank this past week-end, with the idea of getting some tropical fish. Obviosly will be uterlising pet shop staff help in the purchasing of fish/plants etc. But thought i would get some advice from the knowledgable people that frequent this site. Am looking at idea's of some good mixes of fish and plants quantities that some people have thrieving out there with a similar size tank. Have read afew books quickly and will be reading more over the next few weeks. Will be building things up slowly, so even a fish that is a very good starter fish. Thanks in advance. :o

Have read up on cycling a tank and watched a few videos on line, so will be off to the pet-shop this week-end to get some plants and maybe some eye catcher ornament/ ornaments to run along side ta fish obviously, will also take a look at the fish,, all well and good look'n at fish when ya aint got a tank(will take notes). Will get some plants and fill on the sunday with water..and turn on filters/heaters etc. Then from what i have read find a couple of live beerers? :o to start with round ta wednesday or following week-end,, does this sound a plan. My/our plan is to have healthy tank with maybe a sunken ship maybe sub?? with plants and afew different assortments of fish. I/Me would like to have some silver dollars in there some day,, will that work down the track with Live bearers in ta tank? thanks in advance. :o

Welcome. The key to successfully getting a tank up and running is in your own post - "Will be building things up slowly".

Think about what sort of look you want.

Do you want lots of live plants or a rocks-only look?

Do you want a good number of small fish darting about or a few larger ones cruising by?

Are you thinking tropical or cold water?

Freshwater or marine?

Read up on how to cycle a tank before you start buying anything. By "cycle" we mean building up the good bacteria in your filtration system so they will neutralise the bad stuff that will grow in an enclosed system, like your aquarium.

Ask all the questions you like. As said, we aren't trying to sell you anything!

Whereabouts are you? If you go the User Control Panel you can add your location to your profile. There is possibly someone near you, or an active fish club, who can help you start your journey into fish keeping by offering hands-on help, or some established media from their filter to help your tank cycle. :wink:

Don't forget to use the search function as you may find many answers in previous posts as someone will have asked the same things!

Caryl is helping alot,,but i am also keen on anyone's advice who can see a snag in my plan. Cheers 8)

Have read up on cycling a tank and watched a few videos on line, so will be off to the pet-shop this week-end to get some plants and maybe some eye catcher ornament/ ornaments to run along side ta fish obviously, will also take a look at the fish,, all well and good look'n at fish when ya aint got a tank(will take notes). Will get some plants and fill on the sunday with water..and turn on filters/heaters etc. Then from what i have read find a couple of live beerers? :o to start with round ta wednesday or following week-end,, does this sound a plan. My/our plan is to have healthy tank with maybe a sunken ship maybe sub?? with plants and afew different assortments of fish. I/Me would like to have some silver dollars in there some day,, will that work down the track with Live bearers in ta tank? thanks in advance. :o

Hi Tabrat

welcome!

livebearers are great cycling fish. I started my first tank with 3 guppies.

It's a good idea to buy a small basic quarantine/hospital tank at some stage if you can.

Not sure how silver dollars go with guppies. I have no idea if they would eat them or not but you could always put a few guppies into the spare tank if you had one ;-)

Thanks for the offer,, will keep in mind getting plants today and putting water in tank today also. thanks for the tips so far..Keep em coming.. :o

If you dont get enough plants from the shop - in about a week i should have enough Twisted Val, Cabomba, an Ambulia that you can have a few cuttings for free if you like.

cheers