TEMP TO HOT

herperjosh

my 200 litre african chichlid tank with a birchir in it is getting way to hot i think it somtimes 33 degrees and i cant get it down even with the heater turned off it is still that temp so nothing is wrong with the heater at night around 10-11 it is still 30 degrees the cf1200 top part feels very hot so could that be causing the temp rise? :o

Lol my roon is not 30 or somthing degrees i cant stand the heat!

I think my aqua one might be doin it as it feels quite warm-hot and it is still around 30 at night

Anything on your tank will add heat to it to some degree or another. A powerhead in your tank drawing 5 watts will add 2-3 watts worth of kinetic energy to the water and 2-3 watts of waste heat. The moving water then loses that kinetic energy as friction against the walls and contents of the tank creating heat.

The filter draws maybe 30 watts, the heat you feel touching the top is the waste heat that ISN'T being added tank water to cool it. That usually ends up heating the room air not so much the tank.

Lights depends on what you have but assuming moderate lighting maybe 100 watts. Every little watt of light that goes into the tank and gets absorbed rather than reflected adds heat. If you have a hood with the ballasts and lights in it then you're holding in most of the 40-50 watts of waste heat from the tubes and ballasts. That heats up the air in the top of the tank and through that heats the water. It doesn't take much to raise the temp a couple degrees above ambient.

my tank went up from 27ish to 31ish over two days, even with cold(ish) water changes it didnt drop until the weather cooled down (took about 4 or 5 days),

is your room ventilated during the day? Do you have a desktop thermometer or something you could use to measure the temperature in your room? you may be suprised :)

My fish all survived the heat raise, although they loved it when the cold water came pouring in during my frequent waterchanges :)

Hope that helps :)

If in doubt, Waterchange!!