Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

devastation

Featured Replies

to day I went to my fish room to find my Altolamp Calvus yellow pair deceased

these are the only ones I am aware of and now they are gone

whilst my S panamense fry are now a month old this in no way makes up for my loss today

devastated

oh dear, that is very bad news indeed & i am sorry to hear that.

when i first got mine i would hold my breath each day heading into the room to feed & see if they were ok, i am over it now & they are just fish like the rest of them except smaller & harder to breed.

any idea what happened, ammonia spike or something?

edit: mine aren't calvus, i really need to read posts more carefully :oops:

As I said before gutted mate, they would have been the last of that batch that I know about.

Fruju getting more is easier said than done I have been hunting high and low for altos for ages now, the only thing I managed to find were gold heads and managed to convince someone to sell me a pair.. I have found a ton of redfins at a guys place but none are for sale. The calvus are even rarer (maybe because they are not actually an allowed import?) I do have a mate who recently brought another 1 and although initially we thought it was a male (he had a lone male) it is looking like it may be a girl and the 2 of them are getting along together so that would be awesome.. His ones most resembled the black variant too.. The yellows were on the brooklands lists a while back and I know that brooklands has local breeders so I am hoping that their local breeders still have these, I am hoping even more their breeders are able to breed them because it can be quite difficult to do. There are also rumours of a lady who has some calvus fry from a pair she had but she won't respond to me and verify if this is true or if she will sell any.

Fingers crossed on lots of fronts :)

These types (altos/compressiceps etc) are my favourite african cichlids, what were the ones that hollywood brought in last year? They ran quite steep for VERY small fish?

These types (altos/compressiceps etc) are my favourite african cichlids, what were the ones that hollywood brought in last year? They ran quite steep for VERY small fish?

The ones HFF ordered off the wholesale list were alto calvus yellows the ones nav just lost were from the same wholesaler. They were expensive but now you can't get them anywhere so how much is something u can't get anywhere else worth to you? HFF was the only store I heard about who took the risk on ordering them into stock (no doubt others ordered them stright in for customers) they are very slow growing and difficult to raise so that is the reason for the high price and size.

There are a few out there so hopefully in the next few years we will see more altos around..

The ones HFF ordered off the wholesale list were alto calvus yellows the ones nav just lost were from the same wholesaler. They were expensive but now you can't get them anywhere so how much is something u can't get anywhere else worth to you? HFF was the only store I heard about who took the risk on ordering them into stock (no doubt others ordered them stright in for customers) they are very slow growing and difficult to raise so that is the reason for the high price and size.

There are a few out there so hopefully in the next few years we will see more altos around..

HFF had calvus or comps?

I feel your pain. I lost my alto calvus yellow (5 of them) about 8-10 months ago. Spray wand fell in the tank (I didn't notice until too late :tears: ) and they became oxygen starved and died. I am still gutted to this day!

Yes we have had all 3 at some stage in recent years.

Ymir bought the last lot we had. We had to special them off because no one wanted them at the time they were in our tanks for quite a while...

Dont think we will ask to get them in as people didnt seem keen the other times they were in.

Sure they are expensive but they are a rarity in this counrty...

i questioned that because i have not heard of the comps but not calvus being available there, can't be sure about much these days with these damn tangs :lol:

OH NO!

Sorry to hear

I know you were putting a lot of effort into these

Lets hope you can pick some more up but by the sounds of it that could be difficult

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.