New Tank Project

GZ_Loach

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have found the metal halides I want to use but can't get them till next pay day :D

Sorry, I haven't read the whole topic : about the lighting, have you considered doing it with LEDs ?

Could be great : sunrise, sunset effects with all the spectrum changings.

A lower consumption with a longer lifetime than MH.

Sorry, I haven't read the whole topic : about the lighting, have you considered doing it with LEDs ?

Could be great : sunrise, sunset effects with all the spectrum changings.

A lower consumption with a longer lifetime than MH.

I had looked at using LEDs but for the size of my tank it would probably cost $1000, with MH's i could get twin 150w fittings (excluding lamps) for $280

So I decided to test the water and added a dummy fish, swam around happily for about an hour or 2 and then slowly stopped swimming and more or less started drifting :dead%fish . Might need to drain the tank and refill? (could be the resin leaching chemicals? sand?) I've added some carbon for now incase it is chemicals so I can start removing them. Only other thing I added was "sera" crystal to help filter out the cloudyness, could that be the problem?

Water is now fish friendly, all the fish out of my holding tank have now gone in.

Lighting is finished, nice metal halide during the day with a t8 timed to come on in the evening

Have now decided to go for a Malawi setup, plants don't work well with the background (hides too much of it)