Female pilots WWII

Caryl

There is a fascinating programme on SBSOne at the moment about the women who flew fighter planes during the last world war. They had to fight hard against the males who claimed they were not capable of flying and should stay in the kitchen or do something "more befitting of their sex" :roll:

Even in the years after, you never hear about these women and the odds they overcame.

Of course but it was still the most dangerous occupation for women. It was not their fault the men wouldn't let them do more. The dreadful things said and done to them by their own side were atrocious!

This book might interest you...

Spitfire Women of World War II by Giles Whittell

I am in awe of these ladies :hail::bow:

They were not allowed into combat but flew the fighters across country to where they were needed by the fellas. They are interviewing some of the survivors. What wonderful women they were! Real pioneers.

Yeah, Ferry pilots. Sounds like a pretty good job to me, I'd rather do that than get shot at. Though, spending 12 hours at a time over the middle of the ocean in a single engined, rushbuilt plane on its first flight...Takes balls.:P

Ira I feel you are trivialising the work they did, just because they did not fly in combat missions.

It was not just the job they did but the war (within a war) they had to fight to be able to do it in the first place and the attitude of the males who claimed they could not do the job.

They certainly had bigger balls than many men at the time!

:hail::hail::hail:

I am a pacifist and I can't understand why anyone would want to join the army, but I really admire their determination and drive to do what they felt passionately about despite their culture, religion, and legal system telling them that they couldn't do it.

Ira I feel you are trivialising the work they did, just because they did not fly in combat missions.

It was not just the job they did but the war (within a war) they had to fight to be able to do it in the first place and the attitude of the males who claimed they could not do the job.

Yes, me saying it's a risky and difficult job totally trivializes it. In the future I will never discuss the ways in which a job that's done by women can be life threatening again.

It was the "Yeah, Ferry pilots" that made me feel that way but I am sure you did not mean anything by it.

It was not just the job but what they had to go through to be allowed to do it. One of the women had over 2000 hours flying experience before joining up, as an acrobatic stunt flyer, and they still didn't think she could do it.

They said the hardest part was not knowing what sort of aircraft you were going to be flying at any time. They could fly anything from spitfires to the big bombers and no experience may have been had in some of them before taking off in it. One woman told how she flew a bomber into an RAF base. She got out of the plane to be greeted by a group of men with a staff car. She asked if it was for her and they said "No, it is for the pilot". She replied "I AM the pilot!" and they did not believe her. They actually searched the plane before finally realising she was indeed the pilot.

After the war none of them could continue flying, unless they were rich enough to buy their own plane, as the jobs were given to the men. That went for all those women who had trained as engineers and mechanics etc to keep things running.

My friend's dad was an RAF pilot (he was Canadian but lied about his age and joined up in the UK) and was flying missions over enemy territory aged 16. Can you 16 yr olds in here imagine doing that? I think the average life expectancy for the front line pilots was only a few months :(

It was the "Yeah, Ferry pilots" that made me feel that way but I am sure you did not mean anything by it.

Yeah I did mean something by it, to use the name of one of their roles. A ferry flight is any flight to move a plane to where it's needed. A person that flies ferry flights to the front line would be called what? Is it trivializing someone who flies cargo planes to call them a cargo pilot? How about calling someone who flies airlines an airline pilot? Someone who flies bombers a bomber pilot?

Google "Ferry pilots ww2" almost every single result is about women.

Don't get pissy at me for how women were treated 40 years before I was born.

are you angry at this generation of men about what happened back then Caryl?

:o Now that is a seriously bizarre question! :facepalm:

I think Ira's original post could be taken a number of ways, one way is very negative towards women, and the other is fairly positive. Unfortunately the written word is not good at conveying tone.

seriously bizarre, ah well sorry about it being that way. that was the impression i got from Caryl making points about how the women had to fight the men to be able to help & do what they did in the war as i amagine it would have been very tough for anyone that participated no matter what they did. i was interested to find the answer to that thought as i didn't think that was the case.

I think Ira's original post could be taken a number of ways, one way is very negative towards women, and the other is fairly positive. Unfortunately the written word is not good at conveying tone.

Which part is negative towards women? The part where I'd rather not be shot at or the part where being a ferry pilot is a risky job?

I wish to apologise to Ira as I read more into his post than was there. This was due to what was still going around in my head after watching the programme. He is not a mind reader! I took a more negative meaning when none was intended.

I wish to apologise to Ira as I read more into his post than was there. This was due to what was still going around in my head after watching the programme. He is not a mind reader! I took a more negative meaning when none was intended.

I forgive you then. And apologize for being grumpy back. :)