Bugvac ---> free live food.

Insect Direct

You put the end of the vacume tube in the big hole in the jar lid. Then put lid on jar, now you have a jar with the vacume tube going into the jar (with fine material over the end to stop the bugs going up the vac) and the small clear tube is coming out of the jar. Now when you turn on the vac, its trying to suck air out of the jar, and because you have the clear tube going out of the jar the suction just travels up that pipe. Now you can walk around with the clear tube sucking up the bugs. Hope that makes sense :oops:

Probably should of just made a vid, but that idea failed the security clearance :lol:

An article and pics for the AW would be appreciated (or I could use what is here but would prefer pics without your name through the middle. You would be fully credited in the magazine of course). I assume the "vac" is a small, bagless, vacuum cleaner? You would also need a good sized extension cord. Anyone know of any battery operated machines suitable to take "out in the field"?

If you can use what is here that would be great. Im not the best at explaining things, you'l probably end up with ten pages of mumbled jargon :oops:

My name's not NZ Exotic's if im honest about it :lol: I started putting the signature on mainly so people dont use my photos on trademe and the like's (without asking anyway), I can supply pics without to anyone who asks.

Yeah thats a cheap little bagless vac, one I use for cleaning out the lizard enclosures. Can adjust the level/suck on it which is handy. I turn it down low for sucking up bugs, otherwise they can get a bit munted :wink: . May get away with just a standard vacume with that little adjustable hole open near the handle. Otherwise if still to powerful, make an extra hole in the jar lid, put another pipe in with a tap, turn tap to adjust air flow. Should work like a bleeder valve. The bugs in the jar may get swirled around a bit though.

I just use it at the back door when theres hundreds of little bugs on the house around the light. Can suck most of them up without disturbing them and they all flying away, much better than a net etc. You can get neat little handheld bug catchers (vacume like things that look similar to that of a hand drill, or hair dryer for the ladies lol) over seas.

Been meaning to try that actually, even have an old handheld here i never use. Could be worth a shot, saves getting the bigger vac out.

Think it was on tv the other night, someone was collecting mossies for research. All they used was a jar, tube going in the top, with mesh over end inside jar. Another tube out the bottom of jar, where bugs get sucked up. You just suck the tube with mesh on while placing the other tube over an insect and wala, bug now in the jar. Moths being dusty may be interesting with that method.

To avoid your lying and to help with your continued striving to get to heaven I will explain. Both of the machines are called vacuum trucks. They have a large vacuum pump attatched to a large tank and the pump is used to create a vacuum in the tank prior to use.The inlet end has a gate valve which controls the amount of air/liquid/mud/etc that is sucked up and because the chamber is pre evacuated there is no risk of material being sucked into the vacuum pump.

Now that all is clear as mud and we are all on the bus to heaven --some suggestions:

If the collection chamber were larger it could be pre evacuated and therefor made more portable and also the suckie end would be working for longer.

This method would also avoid the risk of sucking things into the suckymota.

• 1 year later...

I did build something different to attach to my vacuum cleaner. I used two water bottles, a nylon sock, a hose and some clear tape. two bottles are cut in halfe, the nylon sock was put on one end and the two bottles taped together. both hoses are removable and I can put the 'trap' as it is to the frogs and wait till it's empty and go for another 'suck' :wink:

vac1.jpg

vac2.jpg

• 7 months later...