Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What's your current internet speed?

Featured Replies

Mine,

Download Speed: 4350 kbps (543.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 620 kbps (77.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Seems ok, but upload drags.

Just curious what other peoples speeds are like....

  • Replies 78
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1130492640.png

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status

Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason:	8000

Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 800 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps

Link Power State: L0

Mode:			G.DMT

Channel:		Fast

Trellis:		ON

Line Status:		No Defect

Training Status:	Showtime

		Down		Up

SNR (dB):	12.7		13.0

Attn(dB):	29.5		21.0

Pwr(dBm):	19.8		11.9

Max(Kbps):	8256		924

Rate (Kbps):	8128		800

If anyone feels that they could be getting better out of their line post the stats (looks like the above) and I give you a hand to get it running faster if there is room to.

Due to backhaul (connection from Telecom Wholesale into your ISP), I only get this

1130517020.png

but my line is capable of a lot more

rMtzn.png

That is truly pitiful, ping looks low so doesn't look like congestion at first glance. Is that ping stable?

I suspect it might be the link betwix the cab and the exchange.

pAthetic!!! how come other telstra users are getting way better speeds than me? .. and Sam is not that far from me either!

1130664063.png

supossedly I have good line quality so i don't know why I'm not getting better speeds.

grade A - an excellent result! Expect all Internet applications to work very well assuming you have sufficient bandwidth.

33227930.png

That is truly pitiful, ping looks low so doesn't look like congestion at first glance. Is that ping stable?

I suspect it might be the link betwix the cab and the exchange.

Oh I know exactly what it is. Telecom Wholesale dimension their BUBA backhaul links at 45kbit/s so if demand exceeds this average, we suffer :( I haven't really had my full 24mbit ish since Slingshot introduced the All You Can Eat plan.

The reason the ping is stable is because slingshot have put limits in place to stop the link from becoming completely saturated. Ping and jitter are fine now. Back in October they were through the roof though.

dam 40gb would be nice. i get 10gb and thought my speed was reasonable :o

We had 10gb, went over, got offered 20gb for $10 more so gran took it. Then the other day some telecom guy came around offering 40gb for an extra $3 :o And we don't have to pay extra if we go over, it just goes slow :o

pAthetic!!! how come other telstra users are getting way better speeds than me? .. and Sam is not that far from me either!

1130664063.png

supossedly I have good line quality so i don't know why I'm not getting better speeds.

If you can find the line stats (off the modem) like what I and Phantom posted I can tell you if there is any room for improvement on the sync, I cant do about the backhaul from the exchange or your ISP peering.

God I miss my UK adsl2+ connection, found an old post:

I see nothing too bad with my speeds:
wget http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso -O /dev/null

--2009-01-18 20:10:44--  http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

Resolving mirror.ox.ac.uk... 163.1.2.224, 163.1.2.231

Connecting to mirror.ox.ac.uk|163.1.2.224|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 732766208 (699M) [application/x-iso9660-image]

Saving to: `/dev/null'


 7% [==============>                                               ]57,312,039  2.34M/s eta 5m 50s 
Which is a lot faster than speedtest.net: 392951676.png
Link Information


  Uptime:  0 days, 0:04:52

  DSL Type:  G.992.5 Annex M US 56

  Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  2,520 / 24,574

  Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:  0.00 / 0.00

  Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  13.0 / 16.5

  Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  6.0 / 13.0

  SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  3.5 / 4.0

  Vendor ID (Local/Remote):  TMMB / BDCM

  Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

  Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

  Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

  Loss of Link (Remote):  0

  Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

  FEC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 0

  CRC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 2

  HEC Errors (Up/Down):  362 / 3

If you can find the line stats (off the modem) like what I and Phantom posted I can tell you if there is any room for improvement on the sync, I cant do about the backhaul from the exchange or your ISP peering.

I have no idea where to find those modem stats.. !

this is my modem: http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/adsl/rta1025we

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.