I need to become an expert on Apisto. viejita. Help please?

Joe

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe, I will be watching your progress very carefully, please post.

Yep sure. I do hope I get a male and a female...

The glass shop rung yesterday and gave me a quote for how much my tank would cost - for a 75x55x52cm tank, with no bracing, 10mm think glass, and a panel of low-ion glass on the from, will cost me $440 :o:o:o

I'm thinking I should just get the panel of low-ion glass from them and go somewhere else to get the rest of the tank made :-? There is this other guy who makes really good tanks at great prices, but he doesn't have the low-ion glass.

Damn thats alot of money, just get a normal tank Joe how many amazing tanks on here have you seen that have just standard old glass and they look awesome.. You could find girls or go off to uni soon and the tank will end up sitting on your lawn or getting sold for a fraction of that price. I would just buy a cheap one and put the rest of the money into other gear or fish for it, you will enjoy it just as much and then later on get a big massive clear one..

Damn thats alot of money, just get a normal tank Joe how many amazing tanks on here have you seen that have just standard old glass and they look awesome.. You could find girls or go off to uni soon and the tank will end up sitting on your lawn or getting sold for a fraction of that price. I would just buy a cheap one and put the rest of the money into other gear or fish for it, you will enjoy it just as much and then later on get a big massive clear one..

+1 :hail:

Stuff girls, I've got better things to do :-?

If I go to uni the tank can come with me and it'll stay in my flat.

Damn thats alot of money, just get a normal tank Joe how many amazing tanks on here have you seen that have just standard old glass and they look awesome..

Mum rung the glass place this morning, and they said without the OptiWhite glass the tank will still be about $400

Without OptiWhite = 'standard old glass' :wink:

So really the shop is trying to rip me off :x :evil:

+2 :nilly:

10mm is quite thick though, and it starts to look kind of greeny.

Mum rung the glass place this morning, and they said without the OptiWhite glass the tank will still be about $400 :o

$400 for that size tank is a major rip-off. I would think around $150 with normal glass. I agree with everyone else, don't bother with optiwhite. Are you going through a glazier? If your folks are paying for it they will love you more to find the tank is 2/3rds cheaper, and if you are paying for it you can spend the extra on other stuff as Ryan said. To be honest I doubt you'd be able to notice the difference except for the ends. Have you ever seen an optiwhite tank in real life?

I wouldn't get hung up on the whole "optiwhite" fad. My tank is 10mm with crappy green glass and it's clear as.

I have a full optiwhite tank in the lounge and while it's different it's not any better looking than the standard glass in my big guppy tank under the house that was bought as a sump. I suspect at 10mm you still won't notice the difference. I don't think we're saying you shouldn't - more that you don't need to.

Have you thought about contacting Greg in auckland and asking about shipping?

Have you thought about contacting Greg in auckland and asking about shipping?

I'm in Blenheim. So that would be quite a long way to ship it from there to here, and most likely very costly.

If you go plain glass contact Inside Oceans in ChCh.

Cool thanks Caryl, I'll try and find a website and/or contact details and ask them for a quote :)

I'm in Blenheim. So that would be quite a long way to ship it from there to here, and most likely very costly.

Yeah but it'll be cheaper than $400 all up I'm sure. Sounds like Caryl has put you in touch with someone closer though so hopefully they can be realistic about their prices.

Is there a business opportunity to move to Blenheim and start making tanks? ;)

Jeepers!

Look Joe; you like my tank right? Even that was no where near $400! You do not need 10mm glass for a tank that size and nor do you need starphire glass.

We have massive glass walls at home (about 20 sqft) that are 18-21mm thick and those are starphire glass simply because the difference in clarity at that range was visible! It will make no difference to a tank of any normal proportions!

To me the glass is not the important factor. It's the silicone job that can make or break a tank as far as I'm concerned. You'd be amazed at how many scratches my precious tank has on it now.

I've already said I will just get normal glass now.

I do however need a panel thickness of 10mm because that gives me a safety factor of 5, which according to the tank builder is 'very safe' but anything lower is just 'safe'. Remember, I don't want bracing, and this is a breeding tank, so the tank has to be as safe as possible.

Have a look for yourselves - http://fishkeepers.co.nz/index.php/tank_builder/

OK I'll talk to Greg. Can somebody please give me his email address so I can contact him?