High Temperatures over Summer

Nymox

Just wanting to know how everyones tanks are doing in this hot weather. I just found my 8 foot at 32'c :o have had the heaters off since early December....Going to have to try vent the garage a bit more, oddly the 4 footer is still sitting around 24 in the same room.

At least my power bill should be significantly down without heaters running. Last year it was about that temperature in my bedroom, glad i moved the larger tanks out to the garage now I can do more sleeping and less melting.

Put my hand on the wall behind the 8 foot tank, very hot, I'm guessing its heating up during the day and holding the heat thanks to the polystyrene stored in between the wall and the tank. :roll:

I would say out of a lot of fish Bichir would be the one of the least effected by those kinds of temps, they can take in oxygen from the air for one. And being from swamps I imagine over dry hot seasons the temp gets up quite high. I think how ever if a fish was already under some form of stress then it would be an issue for them.

My planted is sitting around 32. The heaters are set at 28 but the 4xT5HO throw a fair bit of heat. My other tanks are sitting around the 28-30. I losing fish in the planted but at least the discus are really happy and my king tiger is absolutely thriving in it!

i think your thermometer is broke. the air is warming the tanks not the walls, i have 4 tanks in my tin garage. One is a 4 footer with poly all round the other is my 2.0m tank & they ate the same temp all the time. I would have thought by mid afternoon the cooler tank, especially as it is smaller would be matching the temp of the larger one. what ever the reason, if it's not the thermometer, it is very interesting.

fully enclosed and lights?

column sump less surface area?

open garage door a bit?

Pretty much all of the above, just wonder how long its been like that, I don't keep a thermometer on the tank and haven't had my hand in there for weeks.

Opened the lids up to let some of the heat out from the lighting, wondering about the column sump too now might have to look into using the fish bins again or getting something made up out of glass. Garage door will be opened up a bit when I'm home.

With the exception of during water changes I don't think either of my tanks have moved more than a degree or so in a year.

lucky

what sort of lph is the pump? guess it would be somewhere from 5000 to 7000 or more? i guess they could generate some heat, may be using more juice than the heater.

5000 lph on the sump return pump, not to sure on the 101 sunsun.

I came home to find my cold water tank at 31C :roll:

Fish don't seem bothered.

There is no point in turning off your heaters over summer. They will not turn on if the water temperature is higher than the heater setting. There is a danger of a sudden cold snap overnight and forgetting to turn them back on again.

I came home to find my cold water tank at 31C :roll:

Fish don't seem bothered.

There is no point in turning off your heaters over summer. They will not turn on if the water temperature is higher than the heater setting. There is a danger of a sudden cold snap overnight and forgetting to turn them back on again.

i have turned my heater down to 23 in my large tank just in case it does get cold overnight, it was at 25 this morning at 7:30.

I unplug them to use the power points for other things, I think it was the poly in between the wall and the tank, as temperatures now top at 26'c which is the temperature of the garage. Much happier fish, some even spawned again, so hope she doesnt eat them this time.