CHICKEN ATTACKED BY DOG

Zayne

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no poor chooky :(

For injuries like that on my birds I use a natural cream called Manuka Magic, which is made from manuka honey and manuka oil, with UMF 15+ whatever that is. Every time I've used it the injury has healed and the bird has been perfectly fine afterwards. My mum got it from a shop called The Honey Collection. I'm not sure if it's a franchise or not so just go and have a look around town or try and find a similar shop that sells similar products.

I hope your little chooky gets better :)

Clean the wounds twice a day with clean water. Honey is a good wound dressing. Keep the chicken warm, calm and confined so she rests a lot. Feed her very well to promote good healing.

I would very much recommend that you get her antibiotics from a vet though - bite wounds have hidden punctures that can become seriously infected in no time at all.

Puncture wounds often 'seal' over leaving infection untouchable by topical antiseptics like honey. A good example of this is a cat bite abscess. However, multiple bite wounds are notorious for causing systemic (throughout the body) infection which is why antibiotics are used to combat infection at a cellular level. Make no mistake, bite wounds carry very high risk for serious infection.

@Zayne Hope your chook gets better, if by any chance you need a smallish container to keep her in inside, we have a small rabbit cage (indoor style) you can borrow....

Dogs mouths are full of bacteria and infectious stuff.

To be fair, all living creatures are full of bacteria and the such like (including us).

[*]When I was bitten by a dog many years ago, the doctor treating it told me that in her opinion it is bites from other humans that are the worst, and where thh skin is broken infection nearly always follows from a human bite.

[*]Cat bites are way worse than a dog's one too, my poor dad ended up in hospital for several nights, nearly losing his hand, because of a tiny little bite from our cat.

The safest bet is once the skin breaks, treat assuming there is an infection.

@Zayne Hope your chook gets better, if by any chance you need a smallish container to keep her in inside, we have a small rabbit cage (indoor style) you can borrow....

To be fair, all living creatures are full of bacteria and the such like (including us).

[*]When I was bitten by a dog many years ago, the doctor treating it told me that in her opinion it is bites from other humans that are the worst, and where thh skin is broken infection nearly always follows from a human bite.

[*]Cat bites are way worse than a dog's one too, my poor dad ended up in hospital for several nights, nearly losing his hand, because of a tiny little bite from our cat.

The safest bet is once the skin breaks, treat assuming there is an infection.

Yes you are correct.