Apisto Eunotus

supasi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how are "our" wrigglers doing Simon?

lol

All hatched and wriggling in a pile at the back of the cave.

Both Mum and Dad are staying in the tank with them ( they have successfully raised fry before).

I have just added a small bunch of Xmas moss for the fry to hide in when bigger and to act as a feeding source. ( Moss usually is full of micro organisms that fry like)

Filtration is a spongee so fry will be safe.

Need to go and make sure my microworm culture is still going strong. I havent checked it for a few weeks.

I had my Agassizi's at around 28 which I would have considered at the higher temp level and only ended up with 4 males from 40 to 50 fry, but temp does seem to be the accepted theory for male/female fry ratios although other factors such as ph etc are said to play some part..

After a lot of trolling around online, I understood that 26 degrees was about neutral but I think it is leaning more toward the male side...if you don't take into consideration pH.... :roll:

At any rate, after some rather inconclusive research, I am incubating for females at 23 degrees and an even lower pH. The results will tell I guess. :dunno:

Oh, and I read conflicting reports about when sex is set, somewhere it says 3 days development and others it says a week (not sure where I read that). But is it egg development or wrigglers, or.... so it may be too late now....or you may have heaps of time. Hope that clears that up! :o :roll:

After a lot of trolling around online, I understood that 26 degrees was about neutral but I think it is leaning more toward the male side...if you don't take into consideration pH.... :roll:

At any rate, after some rather inconclusive research, I am incubating for females at 23 degrees and an even lower pH. The results will tell I guess. :dunno:

Oh, and I read conflicting reports about when sex is set, somewhere it says 3 days development and others it says a week (not sure where I read that). But is it egg development or wrigglers, or.... so it may be too late now....or you may have heaps of time. Hope that clears that up! :o :roll:

Clear as mud :lol:

I might just have to experiment. I am adding a few Alder cones today to see what that does. I am not sure of the PH as I have not bothered to test it yet but will see what its like before adding any cones. The water I use is rain water. The fish are obviously happy.

Best of luck Supasi.

Temp does play a huge role in sexes during the first 4 - 6 weeks but pH plays a small part in it as well. A very low pH in will also trend towards males but only once you get into the low 5's or 4's. If you have a temp at 25 - 26 you should get a mixture.

If you still want micros I have a few going so more than happy to give you a full culture. I can meet you 1/2 way in Turakina?