BIG Pond Fish?

Sam Newman

Shortfin Eel would definatly escape. Don't know what sort of native would be suitable? Is there some kind of large Carp that wouldn't need extream amounts of running water? My pond is well out of the flood level, so there's no chance of anything getting to the waterways. Except for Eels, of corse. They travel Kelometers accross land to get around waterfalls etc. I have plenty of them in my river. Cheers

&c:ry Mullet, Don't they need running salt water? I only have fresh water from the bush on a trickle. Koi are amaizing in the japanese gardens. Would love to have some but don't want to be raped in jail. I have a big dog that would be happy to guard the pond from thieves that could jepadize the risk of them escaping. Does anyone have any type of larger carp for sale? Koi or other? I guess thats what I'm after. My goldys are pretty but would like something bigger. There must be something I could get my hands on? :dunno:

every now and then people sell pretty big goldfish on trademe (clearing out a pond or similar) though be really careful not to buy koi, the fines and jail are pretty serious.

I don't think there are any other carp apart from goldfish that are legal/available.

Mullet are wanderers, can be fine in freshwater, but not sure of the details.

You could probably do with heading to your local library and getting all the books out by R.M. McDowall, preferably the big 1990 one ;)

my understanding is that you are not allowed to keep 'sports' fish, coarse fish or anything else controlled by Fish & Game.

Certain noxious species (eg koi) are not classified as noxoius but as sports fish in the Waikato etc becuase they are established and impossible to eradicate in those areas.

All you can have to do with any of these pest species anywhere is kill them. You cannot: posess, move, sell, breed, purchase etc them. Only kill them.

If you happen to have them in a pond on your property, DOC would be more interested in eradicating them from the pond than prosecuting you, but if you are moving/selling etc them, they will come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Basically in NZ if it is in the wild and bigger than 20cm it is an exotic sports or pest fish, either way, there are many laws around what you can and can't do with them, and pond/aquarium transfer is pretty much out, for extremely good reasons.

Oh, but if you want to catch/kill/eat/feed the cat a *native* fish, you can do what you like, with any gear you like, without needing a license. Crazy :nilly: :evil:

Sounds like keeping Koi is a silly idea. Are there any catfish that would be ok in a pond? Does anyone know if there are Rudd in the Waitangi River or trubutaries? or does anyone have any 4sale? Cheers

First you're wanting to keep koi and wanting to know if anyone has any, then catfish, rudd and gambusia...Clearly you are a fan of large fines and jailtime. Would you also like some P? How about a stolen TV?

Clearly, it is not a good idea to keep any of these fish. Thanx for the offer for the tv, but I have no power and not into stolen stuff. Stay away from the P mate. Too many of my friends have lost too much over that stuff. It's just not worth it. Good luck my friend. I went eeling tonight and caught heaps. I saw this fish hanging by the bank so I netted it. Is it a Rudd?

1_44.jpg

will let you know how it tastes.