BIG Pond Fish?

Sam Newman

• 2 months later...

Hey just read this thread 3 months after it was published dont go on computer much. Stella mentioned mullet in an earlier post which i thought was a good idea not many people would think of that. But If you want a big fresh water fish catch a Kahawai they eat mullet and can live in fresh water like them. they have been recorded over 60km in fresh water, look and behave like a trout even get called sea trout but will probably eat any goldfish you have! The grow over 2 foot long. Unsure how long they can live in fresh water though? I have tried keeping rainbow and brown trout as a kid in my pond (overseas, I know its illegal here if you get court) they need really well oxygenated water, that said I always had the problem of them jumping out ( had to cover it). Perch did real well really hardy nice colours but ate all my small goldfish and any other small fish I caught and threw in there ! You can keep tropicals in summer in your pond here, make sure you catch them again though or most will perish.Keep them from say Mid December until mid February but you will have to judge as this will depend on where you live! I did have some armoured catfish that I forgot about and my pond completely froze over for the winter and they survived and started breeding the next summer (Maybe a possible bio security risk, so be careful) they are back inside now, some are tougher than others I guess! Hope this helps. P.S I own a stolen TV ira !

Thanks for your reply. Stella's idea of keeping grey mullet got me so keen, now I'm digging a hole in my stream to keep them. Kahawai may be a better idea and well worth a try. Both taste great. Kahawai are a type of salmon and that was what I was really after in the first place. I have contacted the salmon farms in the south island but have had no responce yet. Rainbow trout would be evin better, but because of greedy government regulations, it is illeagle to keep or release them.

I have contacted the salmon farms in the south island but have had no responce yet.

You probably won't have any luck getting kahawai from a salmon farm. They farm salmon. Kahawai aka australian salmon are not salmon. Entirely an different family.

Hey sam, Basically you need MAF, DOC and Fish and game approval to keep anything non native, they only give this to zoo's. Kahawai are native you will just have to catch your own. But I suppose if you have a stream like you have said in an earlier post you could lure some trout etc there thats not illegal if they are already in the same stream. As a kid I kept fish that are illegal here over in aussie, caught a rainbow trout in a bucket, kept it in a fish bin for a while , had a few perch too. In nz About 15 years ago I found a live brown trout in a puddle after rainwater flooded a local stream and it burst its banks and then receded, i found it splashing in the middle of a paddock! Legally i was supposed to leave it there to die( I didnt have a fishing licence) but i rescued it instead and seeing it was already illegal to tranfer it to a new water way as well as catch it from its drying puddle i decided to keep it. I took it home and kept it in an aquarium for a while then ate it. Was pretty cool, very shy at first, after a while it started to come out. Would hover just above the gravel and was real skittish would dart into the glass at the slightest disturbance! Wasn't too fussed if anyone found out really. The rules on keeping fish in this country are all stupid. You cant keep trout etc even though they are introduced and very abundant because you may release them into a new water way and transfer disease. But you can keep certain natives that are found no where else in the world and some are rare ( but you cant release them again). Sounds stupid to me! IMO you can be a eco warrior catch trout how ever means possible( and thus stop it eating a few natives) keep them without getting caught and fry them up later. Or catch natives, deplete their numbers even further ( not all species I know) and do it knowing that it is all legal, and even if they spawn for you in captivity you cant release them, but can feed them to your cat. Some times doing something illegal isnt immoral. Keeping trout etc to me is like driving without a Rego it doesnt really hurt anybody, just as long as you eat it afterwards (the trout not the rego) so it cant tranfer any diseases back to the stream. In nz you are very limited in big pond fish most natives which you can keep are small and introduced big ones are illegal to keep. Your pretty much stuck with goldfish and eels I am afraid. Thats why I am trying to convince my wife to move overseas so I can keep truly monster fish like wels catfish etc.

I wasn't trying to buy Kahawai. I can catch them myself. I was after Atlantic or Sockeye Salmon. I have been communicating with Kate Wilkonson (the minister of conservation) and am well aware of the requirements. I also understand the destruction caused from disease and introduced species eating native fish eggs and Sacred food sources. I would of corse, go throught the correct protocol! in this way. I have a very special river with many fish and fresh water critters running past my property with a small constant bush stream running into it. I feel priveleged to have what I have got and my main priority is to protect it. secondly to improve it. So. anything I can do to help maintain a healthy waterway is cool. Especially if it makes a good food source for me. (besides making friends with the locals {tunna's and kokopo's} and crays, of corse). :D

You recognise the ecological importance and value of your stream, yet you are willing to introduce animals that you know will have negative impact on those values, so you can get some free protein.

It is an interesting mix.

(Though I guess I just had a milkshake and we all know what dairying is doing to our land, water and future.)

That's why, as I have just explained about going through the correct protocols. If I were to farm Salmon, it would be done in cages from disease free stock. As for dairy farms, don't get me started! Good to have conservational minded people like you around Stella.

• 2 years later...