Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Furan

Featured Replies

Not entirely sure where to post this but it seems most relevant to the diseases section.

I have noticed the comment that 'furan' is too expensive to use in two posts of recent. Furan costs about $20 for a packet of either capsules or smaller packets. Personally, I think that if nothing else is working then about $20 is not much to pay in the scheme of things for a medication that may well keep your sick fish alive and return it to full health and also prevent it spreading to the rest of your fish.

Would you rather have the satisfaction in knowing that you have saved a fish or do you feel its a cheaper option to let the sick fish die and then spend money to replace it? It up to you to decide :D, but I know which I would choose.

Hi Adrienne how a you yes I had problems with the neons that went discolored but the furan 2 is 30 dollars which cost a lot more than the fish If I had real expensive fish I would of tried furan But the local pet shop was saying it's not worth it for neons .

Personally I believe if you have a living creature depending on you for survival then $20 is nothing. The individual fish may not have cost that but the combined stocking must surely?

If you cannot afford treatment for a pet (be it fish, cat or dog) perhaps you should not have one.

If it was a kitten, would you balk at $20?

  • Author

This is not posted with the intent to poke at anyone (that I do promise) but some of these diseases will remain in the tank for a very very long time and while the original fish that have been sick will die, the remaining will carry the disease (even if it can't be detected) and infect others.

I have seen (when I first started breeding) first hand how a tank of stunning quality fish can be wiped out and how long it took to get the tank cleaned out and sterilised so it could be reused. Had I been quicker at noticing, treating and then finally using furan I would have saved a lot of the beautiful fish I had at the time.

My last furan cost me $27 - so yes it has gone up a bit in price. You can always isolate fish and treat them in a smaller tank saving $'s. Its a 4 day course of treatment.

I'm not saying that furan is the only way to go because its not. But when all else fails it pays to give it a go.

  • Author

Mine also lived 2-3 years at temperatures of up to 32 degrees but mostly around 28 degrees. The higher the temperature, the shorter the life cycle.

Some of the pet shops will sell Furn in the smaller packets (what used to be the capsules). I think the pet center is the only one in wellie that does it

Personally I believe if you have a living creature depending on you for survival then $20 is nothing. The individual fish may not have cost that but the combined stocking must surely?

If you cannot afford treatment for a pet (be it fish, cat or dog) perhaps you should not have one.

If it was a kitten, would you balk at $20?

To me the Furan2 is worth it for it every cent,

i had a very sick Jaguar before, after spenting money on melafix, primafix and other treatment, it cost more than buying a couple dose of Furan2

to me the cost wasnt the issue, its the changellent to remedy the fish..

By the way i had a urine infection before :lol: the doctor gave me some tab that looked like Furan2 powder, i think its made of the same ingredient..

nasty tab, it can cause cancer..

I just spent $36 on furan 2 from animates to treat my clowns. The vets next door to the botany one wouldn't sell me anything because they said "we need to be sure you'll actually use it on the fish" also saying that I should bring the sick fish in because nobody else will sell me furan 2 without first seeing the fish, and animates had none so had to drive down to manukau for it -.-

I just spent $36 on furan 2 from animates to treat my clowns. The vets next door to the botany one wouldn't sell me anything because they said "we need to be sure you'll actually use it on the fish" also saying that I should bring the sick fish in because nobody else will sell me furan 2 without first seeing the fish, and animates had none so had to drive down to manukau for it -.-

the vets wont give Furan2

i even tell i give them the fish to treat for me :lol:

vets up here only care for cats n dogs for love for fish..they suxxx

  • Author
I just spent $36 on furan 2 from animates to treat my clowns. The vets next door to the botany one wouldn't sell me anything because they said "we need to be sure you'll actually use it on the fish" also saying that I should bring the sick fish in because nobody else will sell me furan 2 without first seeing the fish, and animates had none so had to drive down to manukau for it -.-

if it ever happens again txt me. Any excuse to take the bike out for a blast on a lovely sunny day :D

the vets wont give Furan2

i even tell i give them the fish to treat for me :lol:

vets up here only care for cats n dogs for love for fish..they suxxx

They said they can treat fish but wont sell me anything till they have seen it -.- They must have thought I'd take the medicine myself with the comment about actually using it on the fish :lol:

if it ever happens again txt me. Any excuse to take the bike out for a blast on a lovely sunny day :D

It was a really sunny day!
They said they can treat fish but wont sell me anything till they have seen it -.-

It is against the law for vets to give prescription-only medication without establishing a patient-client relationship (in general this means the vet must examine the animal and know the client before they can prescribe some medications).

With almost no exceptions, antibiotics are prescription-only medications. Furan is a rare exception - I think it is OTC (over the counter or non-prescription) because it is not frequently prescribed in humans therefore there is little risk of human exposure resulting in bacterial resistance (it is unlikely to be used to save your life one day).

It is against the law for vets to give prescription-only medication without establishing a patient-client relationship (in general this means the vet must examine the animal and know the client before they can prescribe some medications).

With almost no exceptions, antibiotics are prescription-only medications. Furan is a rare exception - I think it is OTC (over the counter or non-prescription) because it is not frequently prescribed in humans therefore there is little risk of human exposure resulting in bacterial resistance (it is unlikely to be used to save your life one day).

They said nobody would sell me Furan 2 :-?

It is an OTC drug.

They don't have to sell you anything, but there is no reason for them not to sell it to you (unless it's not for sale).

They said nobody would sell me Furan 2 :-?

I am sure it is because all antibiotics are prescription only (except for Furan). Furan is very unusual that is does not require a prescription and vets that aren't familiar with fish are unlikely to know it is sold at pet shops. :wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.