Lid Security?

ally07

I've recently upgraded to a 650L tank and I'm saving up to buy a Jardini in the new year but my only problem is.. How do I secure the lids so that the fish doesn't jump out?

I'm not entirely keen on putting weights on the lids in case they break and because it looks really ugly.

Any suggestions?

but it will hide the big rock you put on the lids on the front!

and the lights will still hold down the back

but realistically you could put in a large wooden spacer that goes between the glass lid and the lid of the hood you lift to feed the fish.

what are you going to do for lighting? on my 2.0m tank i have a 5 foot fluro sitting across the back half so those lids won't be able to be lifted.

how about attaching some slide bolts with silicone?

:oops: I kinda decided to keep my old lights which is only about 1m long because I've found that placed in the middle, it looks really really cool (esp at night). Think of a spotlight on a stage with a black background, ie the jar will be centre stage haha.

Have thought about silicone slide bolts, but can it be removed if I ever decide to sell/ change my tank?

while it is small it will hit the lid and drop back into the water

when they are big acrylic sheets are the best

i have seen them break 8mm lids to try and get a moth on the light

How would the acrylic sheets fit? Just over the glass lids or in place of the glass lids..?? :-?

a thick 10 mm lid should do the trick, Acrylic would work too in theory, but i have never had a problem.

My aro doent jump much, i blacked out the sides and back.

They tend to jump when there is much external movement and get frights.

To get moths, that cant be avoiced, but yes, acrynic would stop that.

What i would do, is get 10mm glass, if you dont have fluro tubes on top to weight it down, to avoid glass shards fallin in the water and it all breaks apart, you can use tape.

Strong packaging selotape, clear.... just do an X and a couple accross on the top of the glass (not the side in the tank of course) and if they do crack it, it will remain intact for you to react and fix it.

I have given some thought to this since the earthquake when my lids got upset and fell into the tank chipping glass and getting cracks. Also got a lot of water damge due to water sloshing out.

One possibility was heavier lids - downside is possibility more damage if we get another quake as heavier lids would cause more damage with their weight.

Another idea I am looking to try is a velcro harness around the outside of the tank (just below the top) with 3 valcro strips branching over the top of the tank and each of the 3 lids, If I use black velcro oround outside it should blend in with the black plastic tank rim and may use clear velcro, if it exists, otherwise white acros lids.

The sides and the back of my tank are blacked out so hopefully that will reduce the environmental stress.

After reading the replies I feel like I'm a bit paranoid about the lids. Is there any chance that the arowana will knock the lid clean off and thereby escape, or will it just possibly crack the lid?