RIP Maxine

Stella

On Saturday my favourite and oldest fish died, my giant kokopu Maxine. :cry::cry::cry:

I think it was an intestinal blockage, or maybe something to do with the small anal prolapse she developed a year ago when she released eggs. Definitely swollen and sore in that area when she died. She was fine the night before, then lost bouyancy and was freaking out a bit, and died shortly after. At least it was quick.

She was 24cm total length. (This picture is a year old, but she was in lovely condition then, and difficult to photograph otherwise)

2009_07_05138adujstedMedium.jpg

I had had her for nearly four years, since she was a post-whitebait. Not sure if this photo was her, but you get the idea!

2007_10_26131Small.jpg

There is two years difference between these two photos.....! :o That is a lot of ox heart.

AND she was probably stunted due to a couple of weird health issues.

Poor girl, I will miss her greeting me when I come home at night. She was one seriously difficult, grumpy fish. :cry:

I forgot to say she is now in the freezer awaiting dissection to figure out what she died from. In a way I can't describe, it feels respectful.

As a friend of mine said: "You're SUCH a biologist!" :lol:

Thanks for the condolences.

sad to hear of the loss of a fish you have nurtured

i too feel respectful in the same way

hopefully the dissection will help increase your knowledge base

wow!! i didnt even know that white bait grew that big :lol:

sorry for your loss you must have became so attached to it after watching it grow and keeping it for that long

:D wow the idea of dissecting it reminds me of when we dissected rats and cow parts in high school :lol: :lol:

it will be good to find out the reason of why it pasted away, that way you would possibly have the skill to be a white bait vet in the future :D:wink: