Barclaya longifolia flowering

kiwiplymouth

I just found a flower stalk on my young green Barclaya longifolia :D

I want to encourage the flower but am unsure what to do.

The water level is currently 450mm and the tallest leaves are about the same height.

Should I lower the water level to increase the chance of the flower reaching the surface and opening?

Are these plants self fertile and if so does it need help with pollination and what is the best method of harvesting the seeds?

002-10.jpghttp://www.fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3598

When I had them propagating I rubbed the flowers with a fine paint brush emersed and let the seeds drop into the water to germinate. I found they did best round 30 deg C.with natural and artificial light and a rich media. Since then I have seen babies growing from seed at Pupuke Aquariums which had been at 25-26 deg, flowered under water and germinated without any assistance. You pays your money and takes your pick.

Mines just flowered to. Have read that they self pollinate and the helping hand wont go astray. The flower will wither away then the seed pod will burst and spread the seed through your aquarium. I was going to put some stocking over the pod and try and catch the seed. Anyone tryed this or any other ideas ?

franz001.jpg