November 5, 201015 yr comment_403568 I just found a flower stalk on my young green Barclaya longifolia I want to encourage the flower but am unsure what to do. The water level is currently 450mm and the tallest leaves are about the same height. Should I lower the water level to increase the chance of the flower reaching the surface and opening? Are these plants self fertile and if so does it need help with pollination and what is the best method of harvesting the seeds? http://www.fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3598 Report
November 5, 201015 yr comment_403588 When I had them propagating I rubbed the flowers with a fine paint brush emersed and let the seeds drop into the water to germinate. I found they did best round 30 deg C.with natural and artificial light and a rich media. Since then I have seen babies growing from seed at Pupuke Aquariums which had been at 25-26 deg, flowered under water and germinated without any assistance. You pays your money and takes your pick. Report
November 5, 201015 yr comment_403603 Mines just flowered to. Have read that they self pollinate and the helping hand wont go astray. The flower will wither away then the seed pod will burst and spread the seed through your aquarium. I was going to put some stocking over the pod and try and catch the seed. Anyone tryed this or any other ideas ? Report
November 5, 201015 yr Author comment_403608 Thanks for the info guys What depth is your tank dbden? Report
November 5, 201015 yr comment_403678 Kiwiplymouth, could you please post some pics of the plant itself? Report
November 6, 201015 yr comment_403746 Awesome! What's the little green plant in the foreground? Report
November 7, 201015 yr comment_403977 Sorry not at the moment. My tank is choca full of plants. I'm setting up a 60liter tank soon, so I'll PM you then. First I have to track down some Sundadanio axelrodi 'Blue' and breed them before I get the 60L. Report
November 14, 201015 yr Author comment_405333 The flower bud is now around 150mm tall and I have just noticed a second bud Is it normal for these guys to send up multiple flower heads? Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_405334 I remember mine having a few at a time, however they never reached the surface :-? Report
November 14, 201015 yr Author comment_405342 I remember mine having a few at a time, however they never reached the surface :-? They don't need to. I have learnt that they can self pollinate and produce seeds even if the bud stays under water and never opens. However It would be great to get one to reach the surface so I can see the flower. Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_405343 The flower bud is now around 150mm tall and I have just noticed a second bud Who noticed the second flower bud? Report
November 14, 201015 yr Author comment_405347 Who noticed the second flower bud? Yeah OK. Credit must be given to RR77 for noticing the second bud first. But I did notice it after you pointed it out to me :lol: How is your barclaya going mate? Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_405350 Yes yours is bigger and flowering, mine will catch up one day. Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_405357 I know have 3 flowers on mine at the surface the first one that came up is starting to die off and the bulb is starting to swell so hoping to get some seeds. Report
November 18, 201015 yr comment_406052 Nice KP. Mine should be doing that soon as well by the looks of it! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.