Whats on The List but not often available?

David R

Here's my contribution after a quick scan of the list, I'm sure there's many more.

Acarichthys heckelii - was imported a few years ago, not sure if any pairs established, not seen since

Amphilophus citrinellus - has been imported, still some around, not sure if anyone is breeding them

Anostomus anostomus - haven't seen them in the shops for a while now

Dicrossus filamentosus - I know they were supposed to come in from Germany but never made it

Geophagus steindachneri - as above

Gymnogeophagus balzanii - as above

Herichthys cyanoguttatus - the true Texas cichlid, all ours are H. carpinte AFAIK

Heros severus - unsure if the true H. severus has ever been imported

Hypselecara coryphaenoides - supposedly very rare in the hobby, possibly never been imported?

Monocirrhus polyacanthus - last lot turned out to be something else, unsure if the true SA leaf fish has been imported?

Nandopsis tetracanthus - I've only ever seen one here

Pimelodus ornatus - last available when?

I also notice there are things like "Danio sp. "pantheri"" and "Hemiancistrus L128" with no valid species name, which seems strange to me. If anything it shows the incompetence of the people who created the list and the system. Does that mean its possible to get more undescribed species added?

pike cichlid variant?

I knew there was one I'd seen that I forgot!

Crenicichla lacustris - I have seen a pic of a pike here, a guy was selling it as part of a big old set up, and he had two of them. I've never actually seen them for sale in a shop though. Shame only one species is on the list, but at least thats something.

Can we stick to Latin names too, since thats what the list and MAF deal in.

So Xenentodon cancila - Silver needlenose gar. Has anyone seen them here?

Any knives in particular Fruju? I thought most of the ones on the list were available sporadically, are there some that haven't come in, or not often available?

South American

+1 for Dicrossus filamentosus

Dicrossus maculatus

Apistogramma borellii (Has been imported twice but none made it past a few months)

Apistogramma bitaeniata

Taenicara candidi

And sneek these two in also aren't on the list but should be.

Apiastogramma baenschi /inka 50 (Has been in NZ)

Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis

Then what are all the severums we do get?

H. efasciatus, or hybrids between that and H. severus among other things. They've been captive bred for so long now its hard to tell.

Here's a good article with a few pics of the true H. severus; http://www.apistogramma.co.uk/index.php ... &Itemid=57

More pics: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... p?t=232095

there are heaaaaapssss

I had filamentousa brought in about 3 years ago

but trets and six bars and all the cats and cory's, comps and the like

more on list not here..or not here for a long time than other way around

the other thing is not to get confused between what is on our list and what is on exporters list

the other thing is not to get confused between what is on our list and what is on exporters list

Yeah well thats the next thing, and the big problem here. I'd love some crenicichla and true H. severus, but I doubt there would be enough people here willing to pay for them to make it worth while....

Yeah well thats the next thing, and the big problem here. I'd love some crenicichla and true H. severus, but I doubt there would be enough people here willing to pay for them to make it worth while....

I'd probably pay $50 each for a true severus as long as it's within the next month or two. Think we can arrange another 149 people willing to do the same?

I also notice there are things like "Danio sp. "pantheri"" and "Hemiancistrus L128" with no valid species name, which seems strange to me. If anything it shows the incompetence of the people who created the list and the system. Does that mean its possible to get more undescribed species added?

People are too lazy these days in petshops and can't be bothered to do some research and find out if the scientific names have been changed/updated. Danio sp. "Patheri" is now Danio aesculapii.

People are too lazy these days in petshops and can't be bothered to do some research and find out if the scientific names have been changed/updated. Danio sp. "Patheri" is now Danio aesculapii.

my LFS names them what is on the supply list, possibly where most naming issues originate.

my LFS names them what is on the supply list, possibly where most naming issues originate.

^ I suspect this is what most LFS do. Yes it's the easy option but it's also the safe option (given some of the vigorous discussion that has gone on in these forums regarding people putting their own ID's to fish). From the little I've seen of NZ wholesalers lists (that retailers order from) they don't usually have scientific names listed (even though they would have had to have had one to be imported). Also if you consider cost/benefit for retailers finding out scientific names of the fish they stock = waste of time as the vast majority of their customers couldn't care less and the ones that do care will already know or know how to find out.

Also it's not for LFS to update scientific names on an import standard.

Heres a couple I found...

Apteronotus brasiliensis – one of many types of BGK knifefish

Campylomormyrus rhynochimpus - mormyrid

Colomesus asellus – amazon puffer

Crenicara puctulatum - cichlid

Crenicichla lacustris – pike cichlid

Distichodus sexfasciatus – African distidochus

Distichodus lusosso – African distidochus

Eigenmannia virescens –green knife

Geophagus steindachneri –geophagus

Gymnotus pedanopterus – knifefish

Herichthys cyanoguttatus –texas cichlid

Hysibarbus vernayi – lemonfin barb

Luciocephalus pulcher – pikehead fish

Luciosoma setigerum – Apollo shark

Microctenopoma fasciolatum – ctenopoma variant

Microphis brachyurus brachyurus – freshwater pipefish

Monocirrhus polyacanthus – S.A leaf fish

Mormyrus longirostris –mormyrid

Mystus vittatus –mystus cat

Mystus tengara – mystus cat

Mystus micracanthus – mystus cat

Nandopsis tetracanthus – Cuban cichlid

Ompok bimaculatus – butter catfish

Ompok sabanus- butter catfish

Papyrocranus afer – Reticulate knifefish

Pimelodella gracilis – pictus variant

Pimelodus ornatus – Big pictus 

Polycentropsis abbreviate - leafifish

Polycentrus schomburgkii – leaf fish

Polypterus palmas palmas – Bichir- yes please 

Pseudomystus siamensis –bumblebee cat

Semaprochilodus isignus – flagtail

Sternopygus macrurus –black knifefish

Tetraodon cochinchinensis – Mekong dragon puffer

Tetraodon fluviatilis – green puffer

Tetraodon lineatus – puffer

Tetraodon suvattii – pig nosed puffer

Toxotes jaculatrix –archerfish

Xenentodon cancila – silver needlenose gar

Xenomystus nigri – African knifefish 

obviously not all will be able to be brought in, but these are the ones on the list that caught my attention. There you go david. :lol:

This is the exact reason why I hate common names and think people should go to the trouble of using Latin names...

The fish in the auction is Herichthys carpintis, the fish that is actually on the list and is sometimes referred to the "true Texas cichlid" is H. cyanoguttatus.

With common names there is no convention governing how they are used, so if you want to start calling kribensis "texas cichlids" then there is nothing stopping you.

This is the exact reason why I hate common names and think people should go to the trouble of using Latin names...

The fish in the auction is Herichthys carpintis, the fish that is actually on the list and is sometimes referred to the "true Texas cichlid" is H. cyanoguttatus.

With common names there is no convention governing how they are used, so if you want to start calling kribensis "texas cichlids" then there is nothing stopping you.

There is a serious issue here. The listing mentions -

Scientific name: Herichthys cyanoguttatus

Common name: Texas cichlid

- so if you didn't really know you'd go and buy this thinking you had the real deal as the listing even had the proper latin name (although not for the fish you're buying). Clearly this is what the seller believes they have.

There is a serious issue here. The listing mentions -

Scientific name: Herichthys cyanoguttatus

Common name: Texas cichlid

- so if you didn't really know you'd go and buy this thinking you had the real deal as the listing even had the proper latin name (although not for the fish you're buying). Clearly this is what the seller believes they have.

Not really a serious issue or drama here just someone making a mistake... The guy got it wrong and people will get things wrong no matter what system is used.. it's called being a human being :wink:

Not really a serious issue or drama here just someone making a mistake... The guy got it wrong and people will get things wrong no matter what system is used.. it's called being a human being :wink:

Oh yeah - I meant more of an endemic issue, not with the person themself. They probably bought the fish under that name and truely believe that's what they're selling.

I'm damned if I know how to change / police / advise on this one though.