Thermostats - Fluval VS Jager

Joe

Hi everyone,

So - what's better out of the two? I'm looking at getting a 150-200watt heater for a new breeding tank that I'm going to set up to breed Sundadanio axelrodi (this means putting my other tank projects on hold again :roll: ). The shop here sells the new mirror Fluvals, and they're just over $100. I use a 200watt one in my 150L tank, and I've found it to be very accurate.

Animates is having a really good special on Jagers at the moment - they're down from $70 to $50 or something like that.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

+1 but I haven't had one fail yet. I have noticed that in my 22L tank the temp was a bit unsteady for the first couple of weeks but the aqua one settled in after that. Only a degree or 2 at the most in fluctuation so nothing to worry about and never over the temp you've set - it just kicks in a bit late.

Between Fluval and Jager, I'd go Jager personally just because of all the excellent reviews and people who swear by them. Although I've had average results with my one! But they worked really well in the shop I used to work at. I've broken 2 fluvals, but haven't broken a Jager..yet.

The aquaone's seem pretty good for their price, I brought one recently and its temperature was calibrated perfectly :) But make sure you get one rated 1 and half times the wattage versus your tank volume in litres, otherwise its not gonna be able to heat it in winter

In my 100L tank I'm using two Weipros with digital thermostats that i brought off TM a month ago, So far I'm loving them the most :D Stainless steel and perfectly calibrated as well

Cool thanks guys.

Right, I'll probably get a Jager then since they're on special at Animates, plus they're good (I'm only going by what people say, I've never actually used one before).

So one isn't better than the other (e.g. Fluval is better than Jager?)

i have jagers & have found them brilliant for keeping the tank at the desired temp.

they have showed some moisture inside them from a few weeks from purchase which i queried with the supplier who assured me they will be fine & they have a 2 or 3 year (can't remember exactly) warranty so not that much of a worry. the latest one i got doesn't have the ceramic in the centre of the element & it has not got any mosture after a few mnths so i would say that is the cause of the moisture, i have an older one that i estimate is around 8 years old with a plastic element centre & it has no moisture either.

i have jagers & have found them brilliant for keeping the tank at the desired temp.

they have showed some moisture inside them from a few weeks from purchase which i queried with the supplier who assured me they will be fine & they have a 2 or 3 year (can't remember exactly) warranty so not that much of a worry. the latest one i got doesn't have the ceramic in the centre of the element & it has not got any mosture after a few mnths so i would say that is the cause of the moisture, i have an older one that i estimate is around 8 years old with a plastic element centre & it has no moisture either.

I have two that must be like 7-8 years old, both have water in them and have for years and years.

I don't see how the ceramic could be a cause of moisture.

I have two that must be like 7-8 years old, both have water in them and have for years and years.

I don't see how the ceramic could be a cause of moisture.

that shows they last "for years & years" with water in them. the ceramic must contain some moisture & when they are used the moisture leaves the ceramic. the moisture in the ones i have is minimal & only at the top. there certainly aren't drips or pools at the bottom.

Do the mirror Fluvals get moisture? I find it hard to tell with mine, because I can't really see inside it due to the reflective casing :lol:

maybe that is hiding something :)

Hi guys,

My mum (who knows nothing about anything to do with aquariums) actually thinks I should get the Fluval, because that's what I use in my 150L tank and I have had really good experience with it.

I found that the fluval heaters break even just looking at them! and boy do they give a good electric shock if underwater :o I would definatly go jager

Hi A-Town,

Are you refering to all Fluvals, or just one type? I've never had an electric shock from mine, and the Fluval M-Series (which is what I'm using in my 150L) is made from some sort of high-quality glass that greatly reduces the risk of shattering. And sorry, I can't watch that youtube link you posted. Stuff on youtube takes nearly an hour to load on our computer (we still have dial-up :x ).

I also found out that a 200watt Jager is almost double the size of a 200watt Fluval :o

So I'm wanting to go for a Fluval now :lol:

Plus the M-Series has a 3 year guarantee, and the petshop here sells them, so if something went wrong with it it would be far easier to return it than if I got a Jager from Animates. I'd then have the problem of having to go to the trouble to send it to Christchurch, so I probably wouldn't bother :lol:

Man that sucks :( . Mine hasn't broke yet, and hopefully it never will.

I am actually not going to start getting stuff ready for the tank just yet; if I can't find those fish that I want to breed, there is really no point in buying the tank and thermostat etc unless I am 100% sure I will be able to find those fish. So far, I've phoned some petshops in Christchurch, and none have them. I asked a couple to see if they can order some, as well as the shop in Blenheim. If I can't get the Sundadanio axelrodi, then unfortunately this project won't happen (but at least I'll have that money for my other tank projects :P ).