The Future of the hobby in NZ?

David R

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the

Geophagus Sp. 'Tapajos Orange Head'

Perhaps the Geophagus "surinamensis" currently on the list will automatically expand to a number of species once it is properly looked into by MAF.

The Geophagus surinamensis “complex” includes 7 described species (G.

surinamensis, G. brokopondo Kullander and Nijssen, G. brachybranchus Kullander and

Nijssen, G. camopiensis Pellegrin, G. proximus (Castelnau), G. megasema Heckel and G.

altifrons Heckel) and an undetermined number of undescribed species with deep bodies

and heads, a mid-flank spot of variable size, and either with infraorbital stripe absent (e.g.

G. surinamensis,) or limited to a preopercular black mark (e.g. G. brachybranchus).

^ good info, thats just what I've been looking for. Even those that didn't fall under the "surinamensis complex" shouldn't be difficult to add as most are similar in size or smaller than what we currently get and very similar in behaviour/habitat/potential risk.

Agree..

Here is the link to the publication where I read it. It talks about the addition of three new species to the genus Geophagus but especially describes the differences that defines the different Geophagus species (14 in total in 2004).

I'm guessing articles like this would serve as evidence in a MAF application.

http://www.aquatic-experts.com/AQUATIC-EXPERTS%20PDF/Donald%20Taphorn%20Reprints/2004%20Geophagus%20abalios,%20dicrozoster%20winemilleri.pdf

Do we have a list of volunteers to do this?

I will look to provide a list of say 60 fish which will be split between volunteers.

What we will need is say a picture of the fish and all relative information particular what temperature range it lives in etc.

Any fish that lives below say 18c has no show to be added.

Fish species selected will be the ones that has the Genus on the allowable list. Any other outside this list is too hard to do at this stage.

Although I am not very knowlegable on how the whole importer/LFS system works I would certainly like to help out if I can..

My interrest has always been with south and central american cichlids - eartheaters in particular..

The paper I referred to earlier gives a lot of very in depth scientific information on the Geophagus genus. I have a copy of "South American Eartheaters" by Thomas Weidner which, as far as I know, is the best compilation of information about Eartheaters ever written.

If any of this can be of any help let me know.

Do we have a list of volunteers to do this?

I will look to provide a list of say 60 fish which will be split between volunteers.

What we will need is say a picture of the fish and all relative information particular what temperature range it lives in etc.

Happy to look at providing this for the species I mentioned [and others].

I am happy to work on some african species, but would be good to find out what direction the FNZAS is taking with all of this first. I mean whats the point in getting all this info together when we still have no idea if MAF will even allow the applications or who will pay for it?

The best way would be to work within the FNZAS so that there is a body/organisation to work through

Seems like Reef is doing more than all of us combined. I've put the offer out there, if Reef or FNZAS "Fish Committee" want me to help all they have to do is say so.