bit of a change - for the good hopefully

oO SKIPPY Oo

so after our last KMAC meeting i thought i would try to sort out my plants and tank a bit more... gone are the days of fine sand, and no under gravel ferts, and saying welcome to Daltons Aquatic Mix, and a 1mm to 3mm dark gravel. I think the new layout looks good - but what say you ? my next update is from my single power glo T8 to a 3x or 4x T5 setup but i need more info on the light tubes to use - would this T5 setup be ok ? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Lights-lamps/auction-327878224.htm they dont mention the tubes calvin rating so i need a bit of your help.

old layout

layout_old.jpg

new layout

layout_new.jpg

Without sounding too critical, You may wish to look again at your plant placement.

Remember that with substrate ferts you dont want to be uprooting plants and moving them once they grow as it will make a huge mess.

Some plant like the twisted Val in the front would be much better suited to the back as it will soon grow larger blocking the view through the tank.

Just a thought.

Regarding the light hood, yes that will be good, but you need to look into the costs of replacement bulbs. I am not sure about the sizes but I know my 2 T5HO units use the 85cm tubes which cost about $60 per tube.

Without sounding too critical, You may wish to look again at your plant placement.

Agree.. It almost looks like you have tried to space out all the plants evenly.. have a look at nature.. this NEVER happens.. only when people get involved..

IMO planting things more dense or actually clumped together in some areas and leaving other areas open gives the best result.. but of course each to their own liking.

Otherwise I like your tank and fish though :D

He did ask what others thought and constructive, helpful, criticism is fine. It does not have to be agreed with, or followed.

I tend to agree with Supasi and Hovmoller though.

thats correct - im a bit naff when it comes to layout etc, so keep the ideas a coming and in the next couple of days i will try to post up a pic of the changes. i was bored with the previous look to the tank and wanted a "planted tank" not just a "tank with plants in"

cheers

skip

. i was bored with the previous look to the tank and wanted a "planted tank" not just a "tank with plants in"

Whats the difference?! :lol:

If you're going for the style of just planting plants, you're going to need a lot more.

Also, a focus point would be good. (The rock is too far to the left imho, either move it or get another.)

HTH

Yes, I like your 'take 2' better. The twisted val will look great when it reaches the top and folds inwards in your tank and your taller growing plants are now not in the front of the tank. Your discus will appreciate the val cover as well as they don't like intense like but they do tolerate it and also they need some open space to be able to swim and eat the food off the tank floor. :D

Yes, I like your 'take 2' better. The twisted val will look great when it reaches the top and folds inwards in your tank and your taller growing plants are now not in the front of the tank. Your discus will appreciate the val cover as well as they don't like intense like but they do tolerate it and also they need some open space to be able to swim and eat the food off the tank floor. :D

thanks ;) so far none of my twisited val has reached the surface, i have a couple of leaves that are about 3cm away from the top but i think that may have something to do with my lighting. not quite being strong enough ???

think it looks much better with the extra rocks in, i'd maybe go a step further myself and put more in, maybe stack a few up? possiblly with some silicone to avoid it falling over though :)

cheers, but i have experimented with stacking larger rocks on top of each other in my 200L tank and i dont think it looks so great, however i might see what its like with some smaller rocks dotted around the bigger ones sort of stacked around them ?

• 5 months later...