Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spray bar layout for long/thin tank.

Featured Replies

Hi all,

Tank is 1200 long and only 250Hx250D (all in mm - just to be clear) and I'm having trouble with dead spots. At the moment I've got a spray bar off my 2224 at one end under the bracing (picture a tank built by Greg if you know them) which I cut down to fit across the top (about 200mm long after the elbow). It's creating a nice ripple/wave at the top but not really creating any major water movement.

The intake is at the other end of the tank behind a few plants.

If I look at the surface there is quite the whirlpool but in general most of the crud in the tank falls below the spray bar - ie. at the wrong end of the tank.

Can anybody give me any suggestions for better layouts? I have plants along the back of the tank and at the intake end if that helps with ideas. I'm thinking I'll go and get the eheim installation kits for intake/output but I still some ideas on how to set up the water flow. I was thinking of trying to get a spray bar the entire length of the back wall but this may be overkill and the pump might not be up to it.

Appreciate any suggestions/help on this one.

I have seen people use a Tunze Nanostream to get more flow in a freshwater tank, they are 4500lph IIRC, with your tank length it should not cause a 'votex of doom' as the flow is diffused. I have a 6025 in a 108l marine tank that gives a good circulation of water and the inhabitants are not plastered to the opposite end of the tank.

Not cheap, though.

If I were to go down the powerhead route where should I put them? I'm generally unsure of how the movement should be.

If your concern is calm areas then my suggestion would be put them in or pointing at the calm areas.

I use one of those in my 650ltr tank to spread the co2 more evenly the fish seemm to love playing in and out of the direct flow.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.