Krib pictures

Adrienne

On the afternoon before the Christchurch earthquake I received a delivery of kribensis from Jennifer in Christchurch via Navarre who was in Auckland for a meeting. These lucky fish made it out just in time!

I've grown them on - 18 have made it to what I consider close to adulthood and here are a couple of pics for you to look at and particularly for Jennifer to see how well they are doing.

I still can't sex them but at this stage they all appear to be females. They are stunning fish, nicer than any I have seen all year.

krib.jpg

krib2.jpg

the one at the top in 2nd pic looks to be female while the others are male.females get fat belly quite fast an males are slender with pointy top fin an light red flat belly .males also tend to have the nicer orange with spots on tail fin to.. I've got some that are just coming into maturity and females are generally easy to tell apart because of the fat belly

nice photos an nice fish :)

Thanks. I think half my problem is that they all have fat bellys due to the amount of food they get. There's one that definitely is a female but I didn't get a pic of her. Well I'm pleased if I have a mix of sexes up here as there are other Auckland fish club members who I am going to share all but one pair with when I can tell the difference. :D

If you look at the tails, the males will have that golden crown. Females shouldn't.

(I better be right :lol: )

Based on that there is only one female in there. Jennifers adults were highly coloured so it will be interesting to see. Would be good if there were a lot of stunning males in the tank as the females I have seen around look okay, its just the males that have no colouring.

What size are they generally at sexual maturity? My two are only small but there is a lot of flirtatious behaviour going on, and they turn their colours on when they do it. He used to just bite her but now he bends his tail around and tries to attract her attention (then he nips her if he doesn't think she is watching closely enough :lol: ) I think mine are around 5mths old maybe - the female is probably 2.5cm roughly and the male probably 4cm (he looks quite a lot longer than she is).

So what size before she actually might think about laying eggs?

What size are they generally at sexual maturity? My two are only small but there is a lot of flirtatious behaviour going on, and they turn their colours on when they do it. He used to just bite her but now he bends his tail around and tries to attract her attention (then he nips her if he doesn't think she is watching closely enough :lol: ) I think mine are around 5mths old maybe - the female is probably 2.5cm roughly and the male probably 4cm (he looks quite a lot longer than she is).

So what size before she actually might think about laying eggs?

I would also like to know this