Shrimp hatchery for baby fish food

Omaria

I got a hatchery and used it according to the instructions on the box about 28 hours ago. Now there are tiny tiny miniscule things floating in it. Someone said you have to feed it to the fry within 24 hours or it loses its nutrients. First off, how do I feed it to them? There was no instruction about that, all that was in the box was the black hatching box, a small container with a lid with a hole that goes upside down on top of the hatchery. Oh and 3 packets of eggs, but for that price, if the food in each sachet only lasts 24 hours it makes the food more expensive than my own. Am I misinterpreting something? By the way I got about 18 cute little fry which I have placed in a seperate little netlike cage.

I got a hatchery and used it according to the instructions on the box about 28 hours ago. Now there are tiny tiny miniscule things floating in it. Someone said you have to feed it to the fry within 24 hours or it loses its nutrients. First off, how do I feed it to them? There was no instruction about that, all that was in the box was the black hatching box, a small container with a lid with a hole that goes upside down on top of the hatchery.

Turn off any airation, Aim a flashlight from the bottom of the container upwards. Wait 10 minutes for them to swim down towards the light, siphon them off through an airline and filter them out with a brineshrimp net, pantyhose or similar. You'll end up with an orange mush of brine shrimp. Dump them into the tank.

Oh and 3 packets of eggs, but for that price, if the food in each sachet only lasts 24 hours it makes the food more expensive than my own. Am I misinterpreting something? By the way I got about 18 cute little fry which I have placed in a seperate little netlike cage.

No, you're not misinterpreting anything. Buying the little tiny containers from a fish store is ridiculously expensive compared to something like a 1lb can of brine shrimp eggs.

so I just pour the whole contents through a handkerchief, get rid of the water and feed the fry whats left in the hanky? all at once? Thats what I mean, very expensive even without the cost of the hatchery. There is hardly anything there from the one sachet. And 3 sachets are about $14 from memory that is over $4 per feed.

Do what Ira says, shine the light so you can siphon off the shrimp without the shells and unhatched cysts. The fish can't digest those bits and they will just make a mess of the tank. :roll:

I use an upside-down coke bottle (with the bottom cut off - so it looks like a funnel) with a bit of airline tubing through the cap. When I turn the aeration off the shrimp all sink into the narrow bit and a few minutes later it is easy to just siphon them out and leave the floating shells behind.

Siphon a bit out first and see how far it goes. I use an eyedropper or turkey baster, suck them up then squirt them onto a hankie (same way Jennifer does). If the funnel the hankie is in is propped in a jar or similar you can then tip the water back into the hatchery.

If you fill the speciman container with water and place it into the circle on the lid of the hatchery box with the small opening face down the brine shrimp will come up into the light. I turn my tank light so that its shining over the speciman container. Once you have enough shrimp just tip them into the tank with the water and all. You should have enough mix in one sachet to completely pack out the container with moving brine shrimp.

The majority of the black cysts stay in the black container. Depending on the type of fry its probably going to be a lot cheaper for you just to crush the flake finely and they will eat it. If you were getting into it in a big way you can buy tins of the bbs from hff and hatch it.

If you were getting into it in a big way you can buy tins of the bbs from hff and hatch it.

I think when I bought a 1lb can ages ago I calculated that buying brineshrimp in the little vials from the LFS would cost about $500. Pretty good deal at $50 for a can.

• 2 months later...