What to do with a lone whitebait that's growing up?

the-obstacle

I have a whitebait that came with some native shrimp. All the shrimp have successfully (or not in some cases) transfered to the warmer water tank so all I have left is this little guy. In hte last few days he's really taken off and is no longer completely transparent and his pectoral fins have come in.

Unfortunately I need to break down the tank so he either needs to be re-homed (I'd rather put him down than try to put him in the warm tank). Does anybody want him for their native tank/pond? He's about 3-4cm long at the moment and has pretty much doubled in size in the last week.

Here he is in the tank

img6398o.th.jpg

could you try put him back?

sorry for a drift in topic convo but were did you Catch your shrimp?

I didn't, Sunbird73's kids caught them in New Lynn at a local stream apparently. Want a starter fish for your new native setup? :wink:

You never, ever put a native fish back once you have taken it home and put it in a tank.

Exactly. Hence the dilemma. Maybe I could sneak him around to a mates outdoor goldfish pond... He wouldn't appreciate that I'm sure.

hehe, they do grow fast at that stage! :) You must be feeding him well.

Chances are it is an inanga, so will only get to 10cm (usually) and live 1-3 years (usually).

Actually if you want to go nuts and try to identify him, try the appendix of this paper:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/science-and-technical/SFC206.pdf

Particularly page 42 onwards. It is mostly for dead fish, but useful ....if you want to go blind

hmmm, they are actually pretty skittish fish. I had one and several bullies in a 60x30x30 tank and they wound up pretty shredded from running into things. Their behaviours are less interesting too.

And the temperature fluctuates a lot.

60cm tanks are ok for a few young natives, but quite restrictive on horizontal area as they get bigger.

was just thinking tepm till other done but dw.

sorry The_Obstical can't help you out.

By the by i contacted the guy with the plants, forgotten his name and let him now whats happening so it's probably be if you contact him too.

haha, no worries. He's going to the big pond in the sky tomorrow.

Yep, all booked to pick up my lot on Friday morning. Sweet!

• 3 weeks later...