growing clown loaches hard and fast.

henward

Ok

aros, 1inch a month is a good growth rate.

With clown loachs, what is a good growth rate.

Also tips on how to grow them fast and hard?

I have purchased a school of 20 small clowns, started to school with 5 medium clowns.

the smallone are currently 3 to 4 cms MAX, mediums are 6 to 8 max.

Currently, the water params are as follows:

28 to 29c

nitrates never higher than 20ppm *(thats at the peak) 90% of the time its on 10 to 12. After very heavy feeds goes up.

Tank is 1200Litres.

has an auto drip change system hence the constant nitrate levels and low levels. Temps never fluctuate more than 1c EVER due to ambient temps. that also fluctuates slowly.

FEEDING:

NLS Thera 1 as a staple

and Beefheart/shrimp/fish paste mix was intended for discus, no more discus so now they eat it.

They love it,

bellies are always full.

I had the school of small ones for 1 month now, in that time they grew about 1cm on average with heavy feeding and heavy filtrationa nd WC regime.

Any ideas on how to grow them faster?

what sort of growth rate is good?

Unless you find a way to genetically engineer a new generation of clowns to grow faster I don't think you can grow them quicker than that... Sounds like you are already doing the best anyone could do..

What's up with this need for instant gratification Henward? Just let nature take its time and it'll get there... :wink:

ONE STAR!!!! YEEEHAAAA!!! :bounce:

jsut making sure there isnt some secret clown loach trick

If your group of clowns is an odd number, always feed an even number of pellets, and if it is an even number then feed an odd number of pellets. Always use Halal shrimp, and put all food in a cup on the ground and walk around it in a circle three times while chanting "maging mas mabilis kang mangmang!" before feeding.

If your group of clowns is an odd number, always feed an even number of pellets, and if it is an even number then feed an odd number of pellets. Always use Halal shrimp, and put all food in a cup on the ground and walk around it in a circle three times while chanting "maging mas mabilis kang mangmang!" before feeding.

It's a trick! I tried this this afternoon and nothing happened.

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got.

:hail:

mix pureed beefheart, body builders protien drink and steriods in a blender until it is a liquid

then fill a 200ml syringe with the liquid

place the syringe in mouth of clown loach and depress plunger

be careful to not overfill each loach as they may pop

Hi, I have found with clown loaches that some will grow fast but others get stunted. This may be due to haveing a school of them and growth rates being suppressed by dominent group members. I would suggest smaller schools of similar sized fish and feed often with small amounts. High protein food is good for growth. I have 9 clown loaches all of similar age but a couple are only a 3rd the size.

thanks mark :oops:

yeah, i dont have room for splitting, i have now 60 in total. 35 of which is small, 5 are medium, the rest are medium/large to xl large.

I find that there is no shortage of food.

wtih my feeding regime - they all get fat bellies. Very fat bellies, i was weary of that, but the big ones are not coming out yet and may take time to settle.

i ensure there is plenty of food for them to feast on:D come on, thsi is me we are talking about!!! 8)

they love the beef/shrimp/fish mince paste discus mix i made! they get really fat on that!

Hi, I have found with clown loaches that some will grow fast but others get stunted. This may be due to haveing a school of them and growth rates being suppressed by dominent group members. I would suggest smaller schools of similar sized fish and feed often with small amounts. High protein food is good for growth. I have 9 clown loaches all of similar age but a couple are only a 3rd the size.

How big were your clowns when you got them? IMO anything under a 4' tank for clowns will stunt them fairly quickly, even at a small size when they appear "perfectly happy" in a smaller tank. Perhaps some of the ones you got had been sitting in the small tank at the shop for months but others had come in more recently? Genetics also plays a big part. We say clowns grow to 12", but that is like saying people grow to 6', when in reality that could be considered the usual but it can vary greatly.

I doubt the growth of the smaller fish is being suppressed by the dominant fish, biologically it doesn't make sense for a schooling fish, and the growth I've seen on the 10 or so smaller clowns I've been growing out from a small size in my group of 30 certainly indicates that it isn't the case. If you aren't feeding enough food then obviously the smaller clowns will suffer, but with proper feeding and water changes it shouldn't be a problem.

thanks mark :oops:

yeah, i dont have room for splitting, i have now 60 in total. 35 of which is small, 5 are medium, the rest are medium/large to xl large.

I find that there is no shortage of food.

wtih my feeding regime - they all get fat bellies. Very fat bellies, i was weary of that, but the big ones are not coming out yet and may take time to settle.

i ensure there is plenty of food for them to feast on:D come on, thsi is me we are talking about!!! 8)

they love the beef/shrimp/fish mince paste discus mix i made! they get really fat on that!

Can't do any better tan that

Yep, although IMO its a myth to a certain extent, from being kept in too small a tank. Ideally they should be started off in a 4' tank, then once they're about 3-4" they should be moved into at least a 6' tank. They are from fast flowing rivers and really need room to swim.