instead of neons

waterlogged

ok so when i satarted my large community tank, 300L, my first and tester fish were neon tetras and of course didn't school like i was hoping. now i only have 4 left and was wonder what i could replace them with. i have 9 haliquins and might get a few more so something different to them but still similar to the neons. not really keen on cardinals as they get bigger than i would like.

All suggestions welcome :)

Hiya, I have emerald eye raspora's, they look awesome when they school... the light catches the emerald behind their eye :) I'm going to get more when I come to Palmy and Feilding to finish restocking my newly planted 300l community tank :)

very true. i liked the neons for the splash or red and blue they gave to my tank. i have mostly yellows, oragnges and black. i've had conch blue tetras they were awesome. thinking emerald eye or black neons. something that has and stand out ish trate. and reasonble sema size as the neons

beunos aires tetras they school well

And they are very pretty too. But they grow quite large and eat plants, so you would have to have them in a tank without plants, or very tough plants like Java Fern and Anubias.

I think a large shoal of Rasbora agilis would look fantastic! I have 10 at the moment, and they are one of my most favourite fish I have ever kept. I can email you photos if you want. They are a bit larger though - around 7cm fully grown, but they are a lovely torpedo-shaped fish, and they school reasonably well. If you had about 30 then they would school better I think. They're very affordable too. I got mine for $3.90 each.

not really keen on cardinals as they get bigger than i would like.

What size are you thinking of?

i thought the emerald eyes stay the size of ember tetras?

They grow much larger - about 6.5cm long.

probably 4-5cm. yea do look good. i'd only be having about 13 max as i want to geet my swift harlequins and get their numbers up to about the same. they look real good when they school but just need that different colour another school will give me.

I'm thinking about black neons, emerald eye rosbora ( which if i'm correct in htinking they're smaller could get more). do hatchets school? or just sit at the top?

There is nothing wrong with neons just wanting to see if there are other fish i could have instead. will put my 4 neons left into my plant growing tank.

those fish are totally wicked, havnt seen them around though, are they available in NZ?

edit: just saw Pseudomugil gertrudae and furcatus are available on the import list, but if they are in or not is a diffrent story

Yes they are, my dad and I have two currently and are getting three more :lol:

Pseudomugil furcatus :D

Oh yes yes! I forgot about them! They're wicked!

I saw them for sale at Redwood Aquatics once, I think they were about $4 each. They had them for sale at the petshop here once too, and they didn't know what they were, so sold them for about $3 each.