Amazon Biotope Ideas/pictures please

Disco Dan

Hi there, kept many styles of aquaria over the years but have just about finished constructing a 36"x18"x18" tank for an Amazon Biotope.

Does anyone have some inspirational pictures? Or links to famous tanks of this genre?

In the past I have always used my library of "practical fishkeeping' magazines - pretty much every single issue from about 1995 - 2009 :P

Anything new, new techniques etc?

Filter will be external Ehiem 2213, substrate heater with some form of plant substrate with sand on top (Always wanted to give sand a go!).

This will be my first tank that runs exclusivly on fluro T5's - previous tanks have all been run using household 3-4 50w halogen spotlights - which give a yellowish light but never had any problems growing even the fussiest plants but the algae loved it too!

Heres a few pics of current setup...

th_IMG_0187.jpgth_IMG_0188.jpgth_IMG_0189.jpgth_IMG_0192.jpgth_IMG_0191.jpgth_IMG_0190.jpg

Hey Pete, indeed!

Cheers for that, was going to check out mitre 10 playsand but pool sand sounds better! Cheers!

Nice tank, but you bought it? Bet that cost a packet! Remember I got my glass tank for $100 and the wood for the stand prob another $100.... :)

Your selling it? Misses would have kittens if I got another tank, but how much you want for it? :P

Just finished my new pine stand and hood, waiting for the varnish to dry as we speak :)

I don't have a photo at the moment but ill describe my attempt:

Black grit (from HWFF) substrate. two flat pieces of wood form an informal background, the idea was that they would look like tree trunks growing out the water. LHS Large clump of combodia, Middle LHS many small-medium amazon swords in a dense clump, middle twisted roots with moss and java fern growing on it, Middle RHS chain sword, RHS large clump of stargrass. front small crypts.

hope that makes sense and give you some ideas.

and an example of what to expect in the thread; http://www.simulationeight.net/fish2010 ... f/full.jpg

That's about what my earthquake refugee tank is looking like now - I am liking it more all the time! :D One door closes, another opens...

Edit: My next tank will be a giant Geo biotope like that first link. Drool!