The Reptile hobby in New Zealand

acanthurus

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say though that it is a little unfair to assume that people who are asking high prices are in for the money.

i suppose one could assume they are asking a high price to ensure they go to a good home

but then the ability to pay for something doesn't mean the ability to look after it is there as well

Sigh, another attempt at an interesting thread going to waste.

not the rules at all,but if you knew anything about the hobby like you claim you should also know whats at risk in terms of peoples collections and longloved pets?

Repto mate, firstly I really cant make any sense of your above comment. Secondly this is a public forum, and we are all entitled to our opinions. Truth is I really dont care who you are, where you come from or what size shoes you wear. If you feel threatened just because someone challenges what you have to say then maybe an open discussion such as this is not for you.

Now can we please get back on track....

there is always another point of view

i think i understand where repto is coming from

your first post on the forum created quite a reaction and subsequent posts as well

you have given no indication of your experience in the hobby

so some will be guarded in how they respond to you

it might even be said with the name acanthurus that it could be a sock puppet account for varanophile

as in varanus acanthurus, ridge tailed monitor

as in this thread

Thought I'd share a few pics of my latest additions, taken before I put them in their enclosure...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64 ... 310855.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64 ... 310834.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64 ... 310847.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64 ... 310810.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64 ... 310813.jpg

Actually I wish they were mine :oops: I'm babysitting them for a friend of mine. He's had them for quite a few years now and even had eggs, but has never incubated them. Going to be difficult to give them back I think...

Its a shame to now see a site administrator also get involved in ruining a discussion that may of had some potential.

Actually chose the name based on my favorite genus of marine fish, and sorry to disappoint but I am not Haisley.

You are right there is always more than one point of view and if you look back a page I was stating mine. Repto made a comment about pople getting rich from selling reptiles in NZ, I simply challenged him on whether this comment was based on actual knowledge or just plain assumptions. His reply was to question my right to challenge him, which I guess in many ways confirms that his statement was simple assumption.

It seems we are doomed to failure in this hobby, if we cannot even have a discussion amongst supposed enthusiasts without it descending into bickering and paranoia.

i was merely trying to point out how assumptions could be made from what is posted

communicating through the written word can get people offside with each other

when face to face they may like each other

it is indeed a "shame" to have watched all these threads ruined by a few

and edited posts to make them more palatable, been a bit of work

and probably not worth it :roll:

There is with some people confusion over the status of the animal being in NZ. The paper work may be available for an animal to be legally imported but to be kept in confinement in a zoo or similar, but that does not mean that they can be legally kept in private hands without that paperwork. It would be great for Maf to get a decent system going but it is probably easier for them the way it is.

Were any reptiles actually imported for private keepers back in the day?

Ridge tail monitors.... interesting....

anyway.

depends on the reptile you sell.

it also depends on when you sell it.

for example -

beardies when it first came apparent that they were available in the open market...

i remember them for sale for 2500 dollars each!

now, lets say, it takes 2 years to get them to breeding a ge from a small animal...(lets ignore where the animal comes from at such a young age)

when they breed, according to literature... and words of breeders, they can lay many eggs in one season. Say someone has 2 females.... has to cull 50% of the babies if deformed (unsure if reptiles have deformities like fish)

say 2 females, can produce approximately 20 viable young each. Total of 40

each young WAS sold, notice i say WAS sold for average of $2000 each (make room for bartering, though i doubt that as at the time, there was only 2 known breeders of such reptiles)

40 x 2000 = thats 80,000 dollars.

The cost of a 100w heater on for 24/7 right now at current market rate is about $4 per week. Back then would hvae been less.

THe lizards were sold more than it is now, and the power bills then was less, not to mention initial insect breeding start up cost.

I have bred mealworms myself, very easy.... i had thousands, tens of thousands at any one time.... i had to freeze them to preserve them. Thats cheap as chips..... bran is 1 dollar per KG in todays inflated prices, back then would have been 30c. i used carrots as a source of water... you can buy bulk carrots at less than $1 per kg, once again in todays prices.

so to say that reptiles breeders dont make money is a gross misconception....

what you should say is that:

"reptile breeders make money only in the first 3 seaons of laying.... after that, everyone breeds that reptile...then you gotta find new ones to breed"