CPD and fry photos.

Ice222

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to keep spawning them as time goes on? :D

It'll really depend if they'll sell once they're big enough. If they don't sell I won't have much room to breed more of them. Trying to save for a big custom tank so that I can keep a larger school though. It'll be a 900L x 500D x 44Hmm Tank that i'd fill with all tiny fish, I LOVE tiny fish. I really want to get some dwarf cories but no room atm :(

They're definitely fun to breed :). Fry sure take long to grow though, I always though fish grow really fast. but read a post that said it takes them months to reach adult/breeding age. Mine are about a month old now and they'e only just starting to look like fish. Been changing 25-50% water every 1-2 days, as I heard that the faster growing fry can release growth inhibiting hormones, that would slow the growth of other fry. DOn't know how true it is, but I'm sure more water changes than needed won't really do much harm.

Iwould buy them at a decent price, thinking about breeding them myself :wink:

Here's a little tip:

When I bred them, it was my first time ever breeding fish. I didn't realise CPD fry needed constant feeding. I bred approx. 35 fry, which I had for over a month, but only reared 7 to adulthood. So don't make the same mistake as me! :wink: Remember to feed small amounts of food regularly. I've bred other fish - Swordtails, Flag cichlids etc, and I've found with different species they need different amounts of food, regular feeding, or feeding only a couple of times a day.

I do wish I still had my CPDs. I put them in my community tank after I spawned them, and they slowly disappeared. I am still unsure of what happened to them. I don't think they got eaten, because at the time I had barbs, danios, tetras and gouramis. Maybe they got sucked up the filter?

I'll have to get some again one day.

Here's a little tip:

When I bred them, it was my first time ever breeding fish. I didn't realise CPD fry needed constant feeding. I bred approx. 35 fry, which I had for over a month, but only reared 7 to adulthood. So don't make the same mistake as me! :wink: Remember to feed small amounts of food regularly. I've bred other fish - Swordtails, Flag cichlids etc, and I've found with different species they need different amounts of food, regular feeding, or feeding only a couple of times a day.

I do wish I still had my CPDs. I put them in my community tank after I spawned them, and they slowly disappeared. I am still unsure of what happened to them. I don't think they got eaten, because at the time I had barbs, danios, tetras and gouramis. Maybe they got sucked up the filter?

I'll have to get some again one day.

Good tip. I've been feeding mine quite often though. Once before work in the morning, first thing after work at around 6pm, then about 4-5 more feedings between then and midnight. I'm feeding liquifry 1, about 1-2 drops each time. That's less than the recommended amount, but I rather do it often rather than a large amount each time.

I've been watching them eat and they only really eat if the particles are small enough, and only eat from the middle of the water column, so it's pointless to do more than 1 or 2 drops at a time or the excess will just sink to the bottom where the fry don't seem to touch it. Started introducing a bit of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs as well as picking out a few of the tiniest white worms I can find. They still ignore these new foods most of the time, but one or two of the largest fry have been nibbling a little bit of the stuff, so I think I only have to wait till they're a little bit bigger before they'll start seriously eating these other food.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates :).

Most of the fry are looking like small versions of the adults, even starting to get colour in their fins, but there's still a fair bit of variation in size, so some still look more like fry than fish. They're now being fed crushed NLS 'grow' and occasionally decapsulated brineshrimp or white worms. I think the growth has slowed down a little since I've been very busy lately, and I'm only able to do water changes once a week (50% Waterchange each time). I had 18 fry, in the last month, I've only been able to count 17, so either one is very good at hiding or got sucked up during a waterchange. Anyway here are the pics:

Here is what most of the fry look like at the moment

th_PB140281.jpg

This is one of the smallest fry

th_PB140273.jpg

All the fry together :D. The top 2 small round spots are snails, but see if you can find all 17.

th_PB140288.jpg

Last but not least, my favorite pic of the fry. It's a cropped image so the quality's not great but I love the little tiny fishy 'yawn' here.

th_FryYawn.jpg

Yea I do quite like how they're turning out. When I first got the parent fish, they were about 15mm with very pale colouring and pale orange fins. These little ones are only about 10mm, but their colouring is more vibrant already, although their fins are still more yellow than orange at the moment. My adults are 20mm now, they have sure coloured up a lot more since then, but I am hoping that these fry will be even more vibrant. Might end up keeping them, or at least growing them out to see what their fin patterns are like before I choose which to sell. Colour's probably not a accurate way to judge sex at this age, but I'd guess that I have more males than females. Definately keen on breeding CPDs again :D .

After keeping CPDs for a few months now, I never figured them to be jumpers, except perhaps when they get startled. Oddly enough, I saw my first ever CPD jump, and it wa a fry :o. It hopped out of the water twice in quick succession which I had never seen any of my fish do, and I'm quite certain that they were'nt startled. I better start being careful with how I fill my water!

I'm thinking of breeding more as soon as this batch is big enough to go in with my betta without getting gobbled or bullied. Since I kinda promised 2 to someone (TBH I don't think they'd do well there as they'd be alone with guppies :-?), I want to have some to sell after I figure out which fin markings I'd want to keep and breed, and I want to have about 27 CPDs in my community tank which I am hoping to do up over xmas break. 17 fry + my original 6 just isn't quite enough :lol:.

• 6 months later...

I am reviving this thread because it's one of my favourites, and also I have some of these very cuties.

In a planted tank with fine black gravel on the bottom do you think mine would likely be laying eggs specifically in/over the moss log? Or do they just drop them wherever?

I am reviving this thread because it's one of my favourites, and also I have some of these very cuties.

In a planted tank with fine black gravel on the bottom do you think mine would likely be laying eggs specifically in/over the moss log? Or do they just drop them wherever?

I'm not too sure since my breeding tank's all moss :lol:! I think they do try to lay more in the moss, and if they're laid in an open area they tend to just get eaten. That reminds me, a few weeks ago I found a fry in the tank, there's about 10 adults in there at the moment though, and I haven't seen it since. They're really darn good at hiding so it might actually still be there.Variety of food and lots of slightly colder WC seem to have worked to make mine breed.

I really want to get some more again! They're so cute! Do you have any for sale and how much per fish or could you work out a deal for a larger amount (about 15ish)? These are to go in my new planted nano tank that I will be setting up.