Floating Plants in NZ.

DennisP

I can't see the videos to know what you are talking about (graphics driver problem)

I use Lemna in my tanks to dim things. Lots of people complain about it growing too fast and getting everywhere, but I find it really convenient.

Recently I got some Azolla. Really pretty stuff (from above anyway) and seems to be growing well. However it doesn't like surface water movement.

I have duckweed and riccia together and I like the duckweed best with the trailing roots and butterfly shaped leaves.

However unless you get heaps of it to make a carpet I think riccia is better at blocking the light as it's thicker.

Judging by your request in trade section I can see you've made your mind up anyway :wink:

Duckweed did look good, but I remember that it is near impossible to get rid of. Also it used to end up 4cm thick at the end of my tank. :roll:

I saw some comments about duckweed like that when I was looking into floating plants. In 'my reality' duckweed is easy to get rid of, you just pook it out with out with tweezers or net touch a bunch of it with a sponge or such like and the little leaves stick to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger Lotus is a good idea.

You could also try plants that grow really tall, and start creeping along the surface once they reach it. For example, Ludwigia repens, Hygrophila difformis etc.

I also saw a photo on the forums somewhere of someone's Crypt. affinis, that grew absoloutly HUGE! It had a similar effect like tiger lotus.

Duckweed did look good, but I remember that it is near impossible to get rid of. Also it used to end up 4cm thick at the end of my tank. :roll:

probably your pump or airbubbles making it bunch up? if so easy enough to adjust. best to thin it out before it gets too thick anyway.

freeze the excess, then feed it to your fish, free food :wink:

easy enough to get rid of, but no need cos its going to be perfect for your tank :D

I read on some site that there are a few types of riccia.

It said something along the lines of only 'japanese riccia' which T. Amano uses grows well attached to things.

Not sure if its true or not, or what we have here. So..

the riccia i've seen mentioned a bit in this blog, would that be quitable for coverage kind of like java moss?

... I'd say no.