L168/L052/Bumblebee plec

firenzenz

Was around at 'Babyfish's' last night and they were collecting fry/juvies from there "bumblbee' breeding tank.

These guys were imported as "bumblebee" a couple of yrs ago with no L# but it does seem they are more likely Brachychura(L168) than L052.

The breeding set up has no lights and they are on dark ground so look a bit drab.

Babies definitely have more defined markings and even more so when they are in a lighted growout tank on lighter substrate.

Sorry photos aren't the best- point and shoot in darkish room.

0009.jpg

0003.jpg

0006.jpg

Lets put it this way. They are from the same batch as mine; and mine is no L052. :D

Any babies for sale in a bit?

I wouldn't mind selling my L002 and getting some more of these.

I guess the issue is always what to do when they are imported and sold under a 'made up name'.

I have to applaud babyfish for sticking to their guns and to that name and not getting drawn into a premature ID, but instead breeding out a few spawns and building up body of evidence to consider the ID.

By the look of the juvie numbers I would say they will definitely be some available in the not too distant future.

Colour was more so an indication of my water quality than anything, although they showed best colour on leaves of anubius etc.

Granted -water quality is integral for all plecs- And anyone who has bought the L270 from babyfish would agree the Clarity of the patterning of their fish is different from other's yet all are from the same original group, and I would suggest their water regime has a lot to do with it.

And they are a definite algae eater/vegetarian.

I was talking more about the ability of this fish to adapt its patterning to the environment.

Excerpt from the description of L168 off planet catfish which with my observation of them is correct

This catfish is a master of disguise. It can change colouration, chameleon-style, quickly. If kept on a black or very dark substrate is will go almost black. Kept on a lighter substrate it will show a pretty striped pattern during the day. Another reason for misidentification of this fish is that its night-time colouration is totally different from that it has during the day.

I guess the issue is always what to do when they are imported and sold under a 'made up name'.

I have to applaud babyfish for sticking to their guns and to that name and not getting drawn into a premature ID, but instead breeding out a few spawns and building up body of evidence to consider the ID.

:hail: