Disappearing tetras!! :-(

Nic G

Hi all,

Help please! I had 16 blue neon tetras... then last night there were 10, now this morning there were 7!!! My husband didn't believe me until he found a dead one missing it's head :o:(

What I would like to know, is who would be doing that?? We do have three fairly decent sized angels, but I've never experienced them doing that before! Also two yellow rasboras and two zebra loaches, four black neons and a couple of cories. But these have all been in there for ages with no problems at all. The only new fish are three kuhli loaches and a baby marbled algae eater - neither of which I would think would do such a thing! :-?

Interestingly there are emerald eye tetras that are smaller than the neons, and they haven't been eaten??

Any ideas??

My guess would also be the angels. Once they figure out that they can eat the smaller fish then that is it! It could also be the zebra loaches at night. My polka-dot loach used to hunt neons at night. You can try and see if leaving the light on over night for a few days makes a difference suddenly...that might help reveal the culprit!

The other option is that the neons are dying from a disease and then being scavenged on. Do the remaining fish look healthy and active?

Thanks everyone for your replies :-)

The other fish are all happy as, looking fantastic, that's why I couldn't understand why we'd gone from 16 down to 10 in a couple of days!

I think it is overnight that they're going, we see no evidence of them being chased/attacked during the day... I wonder if it could be the zebra loaches?? In saying that, one of the angels has been bullying the other two a bit, so maybe it's him?? :-?

Will try leaving the light on and see if that works... otherwise will have to find new homes for the angels which would be a shame, they look great in there! :(

Thanks everyone for your replies :-)

The other fish are all happy as, looking fantastic, that's why I couldn't understand why we'd gone from 16 down to 10 in a couple of days!

I think it is overnight that they're going, we see no evidence of them being chased/attacked during the day... I wonder if it could be the zebra loaches?? In saying that, one of the angels has been bullying the other two a bit, so maybe it's him?? :-?

Will try leaving the light on and see if that works... otherwise will have to find new homes for the angels which would be a shame, they look great in there! :(

Zebra loaches are pretty peaceful, I wouldn't think it would be them. I have mine in with glowlight tetras and no problems. I'd be inclined to blame the angels too. Or perhaps the fish are dying (as neons tend to do very easily) and the rest of the fish are eating them before you notice.