Albino frogs - Pics Tadpole to Frog

As far as I know there is a genetic weakness and no one has successfully bred them albino to albino, so there has been a delay while people breed them back to normals then out again. The breeding season is coming so who knows--maybe someone will get lucky.

Allan's comments are true to a high degree- as you know Matt.

I paid top dollar for my originals.

I needed to protect my investment, so the first lot sold were hormone treated- which was CLEARLY stated. The hormone left the females unchanged, but ensured that the males testes would not develop- it did not cause any genetic issues (people do your research).

The next lots I sold were not treated in any way.

It was never about shed loads of money.

'Albinos' were never plentiful- technically they are lutinos- not albinos.

I had 28 in total when they were euthanised as they were held with White's Tree Frogs :digH: .

The remainder that exist are a combination of those that came from me and possibly a small number from 'Church Mouse' on Trade Me- most, if not all of Church Mouse's ended up with a FNZAS forum member in Tauranga...

These frogs are the colour they are because they lack pieces of genetic code related to the expression or production of skin pigment, often with animals that have genetic defects in one area there are problems in other areas too...hence the spinal problems as tadpoles and skin issues as they age.

Allan's comment re crossing back with a normal strain is a long road, but it is the only way to ensure the longetivity of this morph- eliminate all the other genetic defects, but keep the defect that makes them yellow.

To the best of my knowledge I sold them cheaper than anyone else.

Cheers.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might need to do some more research on frog genetics

The hormone left the females unchanged, but ensured that the males testes would not develop- it did not cause any genetic issues

what hormone only works on male reproductive organs

and has it been trialled on amphibians before to show that it has no effect on gene expression in the future?

you might need to do some more research on frog genetics

what hormone only works on male reproductive organs

and has it been trialled on amphibians before to show that it has no effect on gene expression in the future?

D-estrodiol. Natural hormone produced in female animals. If this hormone is present in males during the development of the sexual organs it results in the development of ovotestes.

Males with ovotestes are sterile. They are still genetic males though. Treating with hormones can induce or repress genes- but do not change the gene itself.

have you got any links to its use on amphibians, frogs in particular?

http://www.google.com

type in estradiol effects on frogs

this one sums it up:

http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info%3Adoi%2F10.1289%2Fehp.8067

suprised you have not already done before you suggested I might want to do some more research :digH:

• 3 weeks later...
bummer. generally displays/worsens closer to morphing too. cullinary delight

what combo produced the albinos?

My male albino and one of your splits

interesting to see scoliosis in the splits and not showing in yellow tads

Yer thats whats happening with the splits, only one albino is bent but the albinos are on average smaller, but there are some large straight one so fingers crossed.

the is one tadpole that is not albino but not normal. it is transparent but has normal eyes and not golden like albinos. will take photo of it tomorrow. might be leucistic ???

keep an eye on it. may find it morphs green/normal even if very yellow/transparent looking.

could also be leucistic if you are really lucky or you may even find the eye pigment fades and ends up albino. :nilly:

yer will have to wait and see. i already have a transparent frog with normal eyes

not unusual for normal bell frog tadpoles to appear translucent. often do so when kept indoors for some reason, but in this case generally all or nothing and they still morph into green frogs.

there also appears to be a genetic factor playing a part with some though and in that case often see only a % of a batch.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

raised some mutant aurea in with some ewingii a few months back..

chain of thought was - the ewingii i raise never have deformities so either just more robust, better dna or resistant to suspected parasite.

results were 2/3 tadpoles with bent back bones - very similar to what i see in mutant aurea.

but check this out --- merely coincidence or something more to it - who really knows.

wite.jpg