Albino frogs - Pics Tadpole to Frog

good one id,also good to know not everyone is motivated by the dollar?

Cheers repto. More to life than being motivated solely by money.

Alan - thats one theory, but i disagree. I believe albino has been bred to albino without any problems.

Pretty sure what I said above, is more likely whats played a big part in them not being so readily available..and yes breeding season is upon us, ill be very surprised if im the only one who has these available in the coming months.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry if you thought I was having a dig ID.

I meant that there was a lot of discussion an age ago and will always be a roundabout as far as these animals are concerned.

I was not suggesting that despite being a comercial memebr here you were trying to make a large sum of $$ off these animals.

I was trying to congratulate you on what so far appears a job well done.

Alan - Thats no good mate. My original 3 female still going strong, must be close to 3 y/o now. Were purchased as adults though, so I wonder if they missed any interference to render infertile (if thats even possible with females).

Please let me know if you have any luck with the splits i sold you. Ive had split over albino...yet to get split over split to spawn. The males seem to jump my albinos first if given a choice. Dont blame them the albinos are lookers lol

Should be interesting to see what split x split produce.

Navarre - no worries man, i took your post as a positive. I was just having a laugh with my post (maybe ive got a warped sense of humour) . :D

breeding 2 of the greens together and getting albino young means both parents are split

by using a split x albino the strain will be stromger md the yellow in offspring deeper

continually breeding albino x albino may weakem the strain eventually

thats what i thought..so even though its been a mission crossing out to normal green frogs, they should be stronger than ever.

ive got another female which i beleave is unrelated, she will be added to the gene pool this summer aswel.

from what i learnt in bio i believe that a Split X split will produce 25% albino, 50% albino split and 25% common green so good luck. my albinos are coming up two so should hopefully do something later this summer, if they are not unfertile.

This assumes that Albinism is carried in one gene...

You would also have learnt that there can be many genes in the genotype that control the phenotype, with some not expressed at all even if there is a dominance.

All in all, unless you can map the entire genome of the species that your working on and isolate individual genotypical and phenotypical expressions and genes, it is a hit/miss affair...

• 3 weeks later...