The rules around free stuff

SamH

Yeah, join a club if you really want to help the FNZAS and get access to the magazine etc.

Community spirit is pretty good around here, so that's good. And even with the odd spaz at each other we still do ok haha.

If you get a plant for free, I usually just give away its runners / stems etc. If I have had to put a lot of effort into growing it I would be more inclined to sell the pups to help me recover some of the cost of 2L bottles of flourish and other ferts. :o Never sell the parent plant though. That's a sad thing to do if you have been given it for free.

Often if we send plants to each other, or its even a one way transaction to give someone plants, we don't even bother accepting money for post. :lol: Just the way it is :lol: and it works brilliantly because then someone else, totally unrelated will send you something in the mail totally out of the blue.

Fish make life a little more complicated though, because once they breed you are left with a whole bunch of babies, and sometimes selling them is the way to go. I'd expect most people would offer the first owner of the fish a few babies or something like that free of charge as a thanks for the parent fish. It takes time, money and effort to raise baby fish to a certain stage, and so I feel it's not unreasonable the breeder would want to recoup the costs of running the additional tank, heater, filter, extra food etc etc..

I feel most people, not all (cynical I know, but that's me) will tend to take more care of something if there is a monetary value attached to it. It's not always the case, but is something I have noticed; and faced with the predicament of saving a fish that I have paid $200 for or saving one that I have paid nothing for, would put me in a dilemma - be it a momentary one.

Some of the younger members on here don't have jobs etc and want to have a way to fuel this hobby, and so might need to sell the odd fish, plant etc to raise funds - which is fine as long as you remember that someone could have charged you for what you have, but choose not to simply because of your age and passion for the hobby.

I don't think arbitrage and the sense of community spirit can walk hand in hand.

My 2c :lol:

We welcome even the slow ones Skip :wink:

A reminder to all that joining this forum does not make you a member of the FNZAS. To do that you must be a paid-up member of an affiliated club :bounce:

I'm trying to convinced myself that I'm that obsessed with fish to join FNZAS. But not sure how long that will last....

the predicament of saving a fish that I have paid $200 for or saving one that I have paid nothing for, would put me in a dilemma - be it a momentary one.

Save fish you paid $200 for or the fish you got for free worth $200?

rules smules

you reap what you sow

join a club means you reap more

on a same but only different site there was a question what is the best fishy bargin you have ever got

well i spent ten minutes joining this site and have got some great mates and met/chatted/typed to some great people.

some of whom I have met some I am yet to meet but have all been fantastic

long may it continue...rules or no