Aqua one cannister filters?

A-town...

The old real difference I have found between the brands is the ehime owners like to be able to say "hey look at my eheim"

Have you actually done any real comparisons? I've had a 700lph-rated Eheim and AquaOne running side by side on the same tank, both cleaned out on the same day, and one was flowing more than the other.

But hey, fishkeeping is all about the bling right, thats why I opted for a glass sump to show off my Jager heaters and Laguna pump instead of using a big plactic tub....

:lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you actually done any real comparisons? I've had a 700lph-rated Eheim and AquaOne running side by side on the same tank, both cleaned out on the same day, and one was flowing more than the other.

But hey, fishkeeping is all about the bling right, thats why I opted for a glass sump to show off my Jager heaters and Laguna pump instead of using a big plactic tub....

:lol:

There is nothing wrong with the bling factor :):D

Did one of the filters have a slower flow rate because it picked up more crud than the other one? :wink:

There is nothing wrong with the bling factor :):D

Did one of the filters have a slower flow rate because it picked up more crud than the other one? :wink:

Heh I know, I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on "bling factor" for my bike.... :oops:

IIRC they were both cleaned out and the Eheim was considerably faster should set it up and do another comparison now its had time to accumulate more crud in the pipes. One day...

LOL Ira, its going to be sitting in a box in my garage....

Theres a 2217 on "that site" with a starting price of $140 no reserve, brillant filter, have 2 running on my 800ltr and they get cleaned once a year, gives the same flow as the cf1200 but they are eheim so quality, media and ease of maintanence cant be beaten ( i run 5 of these and 2 2213's).

It is interesting that you would say that, I own all sorts (including an FX5 - which gets a few bad reviews for connectors and stuff like that but I have had no issues with) and I have not noticed any problems with the aqua ones. I have had 3 of them running (that I brought second hand) for 4-5 years constantly with all the standard gear none of it has broken and it all still works fine, from talking to others this is a similar story so I would love to know what issues you have had with them?

I agree if you get a similar sized eheim to a aqua one the aqua one will use maybe 1-2W more power but it will take many years before that pays for the difference in purchase price :)

Didnt have any major issues, just making the point of build quality. The baskets with their O rings dont fit together well, prone to getting air stuck in the system too.

As for power usage, yes its still negligible in $, but a 2213 uses 8w verses a CF1000 (comparable) uses 20w or more from memory.

As for power usage, yes its still negligible in $, but a 2213 uses 8w verses a CF1000 (comparable) uses 20w or more from memory.

You are comparing a 2213 which is a 400 l/h with a CF1000 which is a 1000 l/h filter. Also the 2213 ony has to get the water through 3.5L of media where the CF1000 is getting water through 6.5L of media.

If you want to compair apples with apples then you should be looking at the 2217 which is 1000 l/h and holds 6.6L of media. It also uses 20W of power compaired with the CF1000 that uses 20.5W

Price wise the the Aqua one $156 and the Ehiem is $323.60 (prices from HFF & aqua one web pages)

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... php?id=224

http://www.aquaone.net.nz/cart_product2 ... R%20FILTER

mine go very well after a clean & gradually get slower as they clog. after around 4 weeks i give them a clean, i have found that if the piping to & from the tank is clean they flow very well whether the canister is clogged or not so often just remove & rinse the piping.

I have an Aqua One CF 1000. I clean it every couple of months, to remove dirt, but I've never had it clog. It cost around $160. It only takes a few mintues to clean, and it's silent as. Its the best think I ever invested in. I haven't tried Eheim, but I am tempted, because the thermofilters look REALLY good. I don't like having an ugly thermostat sitting in the tank. It sucks that you can't get Aqua One Thermofilters :(

About Aqua One filters sucking up air - the solution is SIMPLE! Don't put the intake by an airstone, or put it by the surface!

Does anyone get the claimed flow rate from an aqua-one?

I have a CF1200 and I thought I read they only flow 700lph, even that seems a lot more than mine flows.

Out of interest i just went and tested one of my CF1200's

It pumped 4.5L in 30 sec = 540 lph

I also checked one of my sunsun 1400lphh canister filters

It pumped 5.0L in 30 sec = 600lph

Neither have been cleaned in a few months. Perhaps its time i did clean them.

I would be interested in the results from others

It only takes a few minutes

You are comparing a 2213 which is a 400 l/h with a CF1000 which is a 1000 l/h filter. Also the 2213 ony has to get the water through 3.5L of media where the CF1000 is getting water through 6.5L of media.

If you want to compair apples with apples then you should be looking at the 2217 which is 1000 l/h and holds 6.6L of media. It also uses 20W of power compaired with the CF1000 that uses 20.5W

Price wise the the Aqua one $156 and the Ehiem is $323.60 (prices from HFF & aqua one web pages)

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... php?id=224

http://www.aquaone.net.nz/cart_product2 ... R%20FILTER

I was waiting for you to make those points.

Firstly, the eheim stated flow rate is WITH media, whearas other brands up their figures by stating the flow rate without resistance.

Secondly, I would say a 2213 is comparable to a CF1000 for filtration ability, flow rate isnt everthing, the media is superior, and there is ZERO bypass, whearas aquaones will have bypass.

I was waiting for you to make those points.

Firstly, the eheim stated flow rate is WITH media, whearas other brands up their figures by stating the flow rate without resistance.

Secondly, I would say a 2213 is comparable to a CF1000 for filtration ability, flow rate isnt everthing, the media is superior, and there is ZERO bypass, whearas aquaones will have bypass.

I remember the 2213 I had would flow about 200-300 liters per hour after a cleaning. Compared to Fluval 404s that were around 700-800. I haven't actually tested my CF1200s. Maybe I'll do that when I have a chance.

I am not sure about the smaller CF filters but the CF2400 has a pipe the goes through all the trays so water is sucked out of the bottom of of the filter and the pipe goes through at least 3 o rings to reduce the bypass.

edit: I should add that I have 2 eheim 2213's that I have stopped using because they take too much to clean and the impeller shafts are too fragile compared with the Aqua one I use. Also any parts I need are a lot more expensive for the 2214

I think that some level of bypass is a good thing because if there is no bypass and your media clogs up too much you end up over working and damaging the impeller where the bypass allows for some water to get past even if is is not being filtered it will be cooling down you pump

Aquaone -

Canister Model: AQUIS 700

Number of Media Baskets: 3

Dimensions: 18.5 x 33 x 18.5cm

Max Aquarium Volume: Up to 150L

Operating Flow Rate*: 400L/hr

Maximum Flow Rate**: 600L\hr

Max Head Height: 1.7M

Filter Volume: 6.5 Litres

Power Requirements: 220 ~ 240V

Power Consumption: 20W

Suitable: Coldwater, Tropical, Marine

Canister Model: AQUIS 1000

Number of Media Baskets: 2

Dimensions: 22 x 32 x 22cm

Max Aquarium Volume: Up to 200L

Operating Flow Rate*: 700L\hr

Maximum Flow Rate**: 1000L\hr

Max Head Height: 1.8M

Filter Volume: 8.5 Litres

Power Consumption: 30W

Canister Model: AQUIS 1200

Number of Media Baskets: 3

Dimensions: 22 x 40 x 22cm

Max Aquarium Volume: Up to 250L

Operating Flow Rate*: 750L/hr

Maximum Flow Rate**: 1100L\hr

Max Head Height: 2M

Filter Volume: 12 Litres

Power Consumption: 35W

* Operating flow rates are based on a typical set-up with the canister filter placed under the aquarium, in a cabinet complete with filter media, pumping to a total height of 120cm, not including spray bar or duck bill attachment.

** Maximum flow rates are based on measurements taken as the water exits the filter unit when it is positioned next to the aquarium with no filter media in the canister.

The eheim 2213 is rated at 440LPH

The Delivery head is 1.5m or 4'11"

Filter Volume is 3L

Consumes 8W of power

Maximum installation height is 5'10'' or 180cm.

Also, by the time you spend the $150 or so on eheim media that comes with the eheim, but doesn't come with the aquaone, they price is about par.

That is the pump output with full media, sponges, and it being setup exactly as the manual specifies, and is measured at a maximum height of 180cm.

Still; the eheim comes with $150 or so of media and the aquaone comes with $20 media. I'm just saying. Don't shoot me.