Freshwater shrimps

alanmin4304

The only think I know if it that you are only allowed to harvest 50 freshwater crustacea per day.

The point is to cover crayfish.

Technically it also covers daphnia :o

Will be interesting to see what your MAF person says.

Either way, the trader will probably pack a heap into a small container and they will arrive dead from hypoxia.

An interesting wee trip around beaurocracy: Maf to ministry of fish to Doc and back to ministry of fish who finally rang back today. A permit is required (lots of hassles the man said) from Fishserve (fishserve.co.nz) who are contracted to the Ministry of fisheries to administer their permit system.

It seems like a permit and quota is required to sell them but you can take them for your own use.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked this up a while ago - took ages to navigate through the acts, etc. From memory I think it works out that the definition of fish includes crustacea, and the selling of any fish without a licence/permit/quota is illegal except for whitebait. So you can catch all the shrimps you like for yourself, but can't sell any without a permit.