90L tank fish suggestions?

Artem

Hey guys,

Im re-doing my 90L tank as I haven't payed any proper attention to it ever. I got it when I was 12 so I just figured put in water, wait for a few weeks, buy fish clean off algae. Imagine my wonder when all my fish kept dying(and kept on dying) the longest fish that ever lived were a group of 5 harlequin rasboras and 5 odessa barbs.

Anyway, I'm setting up a wet/dry trickle filter right now in a 10-20L aquarium. I have the design ready now I just have to buy the components.

A couple of questions:

Should I put in an under gravel filter?

Can I squeeze in a Discus or two?

What fish combos can be done? I'm particularly fond of harlequin rasboras and pictus catfish(Pimelodus pictus) but I don't know what other tank mates can go with them...

Really any advice about fish would be great :)

88873355.jpg I meant Animates hehe :)

Basically where the built in filter sucks water Im going to put a tube into the wet/dry filter and then a return tube back into the built in filter where I will put activated carbon :) tell me what you guys think!

Ah thats sucks! I would have loved a pictus <3

EDIT: Also planning on putting in one 200W heater in the sump, maybe two if one is not enough :]

UPDATE: Ive ordered the substrates I need, they should come saturday-monday :)

The main things left now are the powerhead and bio ball container(not sure where Im going to get this from...)

I went to Animates today(pain in the ass to go by bus) and they had some wonderful long finned danios so I think I will get around 10 of those, maybe a few panda cory's. They are sooo cute!

But the danios are a bit expensive... $14ea, Ill have to look around the garage to sell something xD

If someone has any advice about my sump I would really appreciate it :D

discus- Pair- minimal substrate- sponge filter and airball. Forget fancy filtration for tank that size- 10ltr bucket water change a day.

I'd suggest harlequins( 6 for $20), one male dwarf cichlid like blue Ram($20) and some cory's or a chocolate zeb plec($40) plus some plants.

I am perplexed a bit by all that technology for a 90 ltr tank though. hang on filter plus airstone plus frequent water change

will give better consistency in tank that size IMO.

The journey as opposed to destination is a great concept though :wink:

I know its not really necessary for a sump, but you guessed right; Im more interested in building the sump than it actually being necessary ;)

It gives me something to do, something to look forward to in life.

Thanks about the info though! :bow: Ill definitely consider it when setting things up :wink:

You could set up a nature-style tank, which is mainly to display plants, and have small catfish, cichlids, tetras or Boraras. If your getting tetras, I reckon a large shoal (about 35-50) ember tetras would look awesome. They only grow to 20mm! Another really cool fish, that would look best in a shoal of about 15, is Rasbora agilis. I bought mine under the name Red-line rasbora, but they aren't actually true red-lines. They are darker, nicer-looking and the stripe is this bright neon coppery colour.

@Joe: Ooh Ember tetras would look awesome! I didnt even think fish grew that small! Ill definitely check around the local shops and see if they have any or can order some in.. Im not that good with plants, but Ill definitely give it a go! planted tanks look way more awesome :D

@Josh: Hehe maybe if I get a bigger tank someday... Still in school so I dont want to set up anything too permanent ;)

@Joe: Green tint aye? What does metal halide do? 0-0

Went to the LFS today and they had ember tetras! but they also had harlequins... now Im all confused D: The combo of fish Im thinking of now is 12 ember tetras, 10 harlequins, and a 15cm bottom feeder (x amount of fish that add to 15cm). Thinking of maybe a red whiptail, they looked really cool in the shop but Im not sure how big they grow. On the internet they say anything from 9.5-25cm...

Don't get the harlequins, just the Embers. I've found that if you get two schools of fish with similar colours (embers and harlequins are both orangy when coloured up) it doesn't look as nice as when you just have a large school of the same fish. Try and find a fish that creates a nice contrast. Here's some examples of contrasting fish that look good together so you sort of know what I'm talking about:

Large shoal of Cardinal Tetras, and a small to medium shoal of Black Phantom Tetras

Large shoal of Black Neon Tetras, and a small to medium shoal of Kitty Tetras

A contrasting fish that will look nice with the Embers is Danio erythromicron. They are availible, but are a bit difficult to hunt down. I only know one shop, which is in Christchurch, that sells them. They are about $7-8 each, which is probably the cheapest you can get them for. But they are a really nice fish, and in a larger tank, a group of about 15 will go nicely with Emeber Tetras. Also, get a group of about 25-30 embers, since they're so tiny. 12 would look lost in a large tank.

Joe: Green tint aye? What does metal halide do? 0-0

As I'm a bit of a perfectionest with things, if you look closely there is a green tint to normal glass. Metal halide lights are an extremely bright bulb, and are ideal for planted aquaria, particularly NA-style tanks. They are used in conjunction with T5 flourescent tubes, and are usually on for about 8-10 hours a day, and the flourescent tubes are on for 10-12 hours a day. This process comes close to creating real sunlight.

Thinking of maybe a red whiptail, they looked really cool in the shop but Im not sure how big they grow. On the internet they say anything from 9.5-25cm...

You can get Corydoras, otocinclus or Bristlenose catfish, which will all suit your tank. Golden bristlenoses are smaller than normal bristlenoses, and are an attractive bright golden-yellow colour. I have three, and they are really cool.

Thats makes it easy :D Im almost 100% ready with the sump and then I need to do something with my barb :/ But after that I can start buying those ember tetras =D

I just read something really smart on the web it went something like this "Why do you NEED an algae eater? Do you have a problem with algae? Or is it that you want an algae eater?" I went on to say that different types of algae are eaten by different types of fish. Right now I actually don't have a problem with algae, so Ill cross that bridge when I get there ;3

Ah cool! I never knew that! Oh I see, recreating nature and all that ;3 I don't know if Ill ever be that good...too lazy >.<