Where do you get dry ferts in NZ (Auckland), and which ones?

breakaway

As in title.

I've been using Seachem Flourish line of products, but have no desire to drop upwards of $75 on a set of N,P,K, bottles that only last a few months. I always took this approach because frankly, dosing bare chemicals scares me a little, and I don't understand half the chemical names. It's very confusing when you ask "What ferts should I use" and get told 3/4 tsp of KN2S04901X3, 5/7 tsp of KN4OX, and so on (you get the idea :P) But it's time to further my knowledge.

My understanding of planted tanks are pretty basic. I understand that Macro and Micro nutrients are needed for a thriving system, along with CO2 enriched water and high light. I have high light (2x39w, and another 2x39w sitting unused that I can use anytime) and pressurised CO2. Currently just dosing Flourish Comprehensive / NPK as per bottle instructions. I understand this is not ideal.

I want to try E.I. dosing with High CO2 and High Light.

I got this from the planted tank forum, it's a recommended dosing regime for 40-60 Gal (~200L) tanks, which is my tank size. Unfortunately, most of it is gibberish to me:

40~60gal

50% H20 change-weekly

1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week

1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week

3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week

10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week

Optional

2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

I'm guessing KN03, KH2P04 are chemicals? Wher do I get these? Also, what is "GH booster", and is it absolutely necessary? I've never come across this before. Also, it says "2-4ml Fe/Iron 3 x a week". What does that mean? Iron in what concentration? Surely they don't mean pour melted iron in the tank :P

Any help appreciated.

By "dry", do you mean some sort of powder that you put in the tank (like some types of ADA ferts) or nutritious substrate?

I mean the powder stuff. This stuff http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 891012.htm

These guys have obviously obtained and mixed the chemicals, where do they get them from is what I'm asking.

I'm also asking which specific dry ferts are needed (as in, names of chemical compounds)

KNO3 is pottasium nitrate

KH2PO3 is Monopotasium phosphate

Do plants use FeII or FeIII? P44 we need your help xD

Interesting. So according to the chart I found on the planted tank forum:

40~60gal

50% H20 change-weekly

1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week

1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week

3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week

10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week

Optional

2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

they only reckon you should dose nitrates and phospates? No potassium? Now I am _Thoroughly_ confused. What is "Trace" comprised of?

Don't buy that stuff on trademe. They're trying to rip you off. I could get all the stuff that mixture contains plus more, all in 500g bags, for a measly $20-25 at the Marlborough seed shop, Kiwi Seeds.

Joe, I do wish you would have chosen your words a little more carefully :lol: ; especially as the owner of those auctions is a member here.

500gm of PMDD would go a very very long way.

Don't buy that stuff on trademe. They're trying to rip you off. I could get all the stuff that mixture contains plus more, all in 500g bags, for a measly $20-25 at the Marlborough seed shop, Kiwi Seeds.

I would challenge you to do it if it is that cheap :)

Hans (who is the seller) measures it out right and has been doing it for a while now, TBH it is already dirt cheap as Phoenix has said the amount you have quoted for is an awful lot of stuff, as it says it in the auction 100gms to 500mls of water and then 1-2drops per 40L so it will take a long time to even get through 100gms of the stuff.

Plants use Fe11 (ferrous iron ion) as Fe 111 (ferric iron ion) is virtually insoluble. The problem is that ferrous is not very stable and is easily oxidized to ferric. Ferrous is green and ferric is brown so if you solution turns brown your iron is not much use. Some commercial products either stabilise ferrous or make ferric available be reduction to ferrous.

How come the PMDD advertised on trademe only contains the follwoing:

Magnesium Sulfate

Potassium Sulfate

Trace element mix

Potassium nitrate

I thought trace elements is what people refereed to as "micro" and NPK (Nitrogen, Potassium, Phospates) is what is referred to as "macro" ferts.

So where's the phospates in the above mix? And, what exactly is "trace elements" comprised of? Is it a set of chemical compounds mixed together, or is it something you buy from a gardening shop?

Not knocking Hans here, I'm just trying to figure out whats' what.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update the thread: I ended up getting 1kg bags each of

1kg potassium nitrate

1kg potassium phosphate

1kg potassium sulphate

for $55 from Stocker (link above)

Now I'm just waiting for my flourish NPK to run out, then I'll mix up some dry ferts.

The good thing about buying PMDD from Hans is that he/she has mixed them to exact measurements. Electronic scales are highly recommended and also conversion to metric quantities (depending where you got your above recipe).

Chemicals are chemicals, I dont think the particular chems that you have will make a bomb of some sort, but at the end of the day you wont want to create a masterpiece of death for your inhabitants of the tank.....or melt plants.

I also quoted 1kg lots of the items you purchased from the same supplier, but then you also have to get the ingredients for Trace mix. Was easier buying off Hans.

Good luck though I hope it all works out :)

Im happy to sell you anything that you need, they come it 20kg sacks. Trace elements will cost you more than $25 per 500g....

Your the PMDD guy on trademe? from east akl, if so i'm buying some next week :) Ill continue with the Flousih Exel, and use your stuff. until I sort a Co2 system, then its just ppmd and co2.

Your the PMDD guy on trademe? from east akl, if so i'm buying some next week :) Ill continue with the Flousih Exel, and use your stuff. until I sort a Co2 system, then its just ppmd and co2.

Nope, Taupo but im now West Auckland. Havent had it listed much as of late as iv been so busy.