spontaneous death of fish?

henward

ever had spontaneous death?

i mean, one of my red melon medium sized discus, was eating well yesterday - fat and active.

today i found it under a piece of wood, no scratches, freshly dead.

weird.

all other discus are active as normal - no discoloured poo (yes i watch the poo) :-?

any ideas?

No idea from that description.

Forgive me if I am wrong here but by my count this is the 2nd death and you have another fish very sick that you want to give away because of a 4th that is in your hospital tank.

I think you need to find out what the problem is because you are having a terrible time of it and I would really hate to see you loose any more.

Do you know anyone in Auckland you can ask to come around to check things out?

Fat is not always good. and i know there is no way i can know a fish is fat or lean by just looking at it, but aim at feeding healthy food. for a while switch solely to pellet food- food that has been specifically formulated for the species you are keeping. I know it is what I would be doing, and apart from that I can only echo what bilbo has just said.

very sound advice.

Think of it in this way. The food that you make may have a higher energy content than the pellet food. The energy that cannot be burned during the day is usually stored as fat. fat will eventually kill, just like in human beings. far fetched theory I know, but it wont hurt to switch to pellet food to see if that makes a difference.

Think of it in this way. The food that you make may have a higher energy content than the pellet food. The energy that cannot be burned during the day is usually stored as fat. fat will eventually kill, just like in human beings. far fetched theory I know, but it wont hurt to switch to pellet food to see if that makes a difference.

yesh will switch to pelleted food for abit.

i wouldnt say 'fat' litereally fat i mean not skinny in an abnormal way.

i feed the fish twice a day, small portion of pellets in the day and beef mix at night. thats it.

ill lay off on the beef for a bit though.

i dont believe the deaths are related though. theone im giving away is more of a precaution, but i dont believe its diseased, i thin its just deformed lol.

you don't have to be able to see the fish being fat for the damage to be done. its all on the inside.

dissect it if you know how and see what's going on. on a large discus you may make the incision across the lateral line and then peel back slowly to expose some of the organs.

yeah

i have read that too

not just discus jsut fish in general.

bigger fish are different but apparently smaller fish, like neons - sometimse just die, tetras etc.

i have had other opinions from purely discus keepers and tehy said that if water params are good, no sign of disease - sometimes like rj said, they jsut die - heart attack, organ failure, just death.

i mean in the wild, they would die like that also i guess.

just really sad, it was growing well, good colours.

as for blocked up, usually you can tell signs of blocking up. bloat, lack of appetite, discolouration due to stress and internal damage.

hard to explain - but i guess its just part of fish keeping

I experimented on my reject guppies by giving them high fat food, they grew very fast and became fat.

(Have you seen a fat guppy :o ) Then one by one they just die suddenly, very lively then suddenly dead. I disected them and they all had very fat internal organs which resembled fatty liver disease.

I was also watching my prized breeder guppy male courting a female and suddenly died mid-courtship. I guess it was heart attack, he was not fat though.