Hamsters in New Zealand

mcrudd

How much do you (ie pro-importers) know about the species that are native to this country? Are none of them worthy of cute/interesting pet status, or are our native animals so value-less that their existence should be compromised by people wanting yet another exotic (and therefore more interesting) pet option?

I'd like a pet kakapo, but unlike kakapos a hamster has never head raped anyone...Well, maybe I don't know if anyone would notice. :lol:

Being a small country that imports a lot of goods, think of it this way:

Think of the number of species present in this country.

Next think of the many orders of magnitude of species not present in this country.

Now think of all the many hundreds of people, parcels, shipping containers, aeroplanes and ships arriving every day. The nooks and crannies in which things can hide are endless.

Now that is a huge job

Lol what a joke, try Europe or the states. That's a big job.

It is highly likely that the varroa mite was introduced to NZ by a beekeeper illegally bringing a queen bee into the country, thinking "hey, bees are here already, this strain has genes I want", without realising they were also smuggling a mite that has now caused millions of dollars of damage to their own industry.

I read an article at the time that suggested a government conspiracy and another that suggested the end of the world. Just comes down to what you'd rather believe. But fact remains fact, "highly likley" isn't a 100%

Are none of them worthy of cute/interesting pet status, or are our native animals so value-less that their existence should be compromised by people wanting yet another exotic (and therefore more interesting) pet option?

Of course! I was hoping to get a baby possum next year. I would love to keep NZ species as pets but unfortunatly thats often illegal aswell. Like i said.. Ignorance!

(sorry, rant over. I do get tired of this 'exotic is best, cute animals won't invade' theme.)

No worries :D your forgiven lol

Cheers

Europe and the states are already over-run with invasive species, point being that in NZ we havea number of fragile species that have evolved in a predator-less and pristine island environment. We have a ranging climate and vast animal resources that should a un-wanted species enter, could run-amok.

Also being a small island nation, most of our goods are shipped here. Ships have to be one of the worst for hide-holes, and being that they are unable to be thoroughly searched (as would a truck for instance?) and without the same amount of vigorous scanning and checking such as air-ports, you don't know you have an invasive species here until the containers are off the ship, and even then not every crate can be checked effectively within the time constraints to keep the ports operating smoothly.

AND THEN! even if they DO find something, it is already in New Zealand, sitting on the dock already, and containment of a invasive species is incredibly hard...

in 2009 volumes reached a record high of 843,590 TEU. (20 foot equivalent unit)

That is just Auckland...

Add Tauranga & Wellington, (the next 2 largest ports) and then think of all the smaller ports where people arrive individually on private pleasure craft... Now imagine your job is to try and avoid anything in any ONE of those containers from entering NZ....

Then there is the management and awareness campaigns to try and avoid spread of the species that are already present in the country.

I read an article at the time that suggested a government conspiracy and another that suggested the end of the world. Just comes down to what you'd rather believe. But fact remains fact, "highly likley" isn't a 100%

Show us a more "likely" way that a mite that is hosted on bees, since survivability of the Varroa mite on:

clothing= 21h (+/- 1.3H)

metal = 20h (+/- 1.1h)

and pollen = 18h (+/- 1.3h)

(Lilia I. De Guzman et al. " Survival of Varroa jacobsoni Oud. (Acari: Varroidae) away from its living host Apis mellifera L.")

Main infestations coming from Europe or USA, where travel time alone (from source, to New Zealand, and then to a working hive) is practically beyond this time limit. This lends itself to live host transmission {(71 +/- 1.1h) for dead worker bees @ 26°C}

Of course! I was hoping to get a baby possum next year. I would love to keep NZ species as pets but unfortunately that's often illegal as well. Like i said.. Ignorance!

possums, my dear lad, are an exotic invasive species.... :roll:

Hamsters are a rodent. a cute and furry rat. only these rats are developed to survive below-freezing temperatures (Russian hamster). Also since there is a lack of predators in enough numbers to control a wild population, I think that it makes sense that they are banned.

With a fecundity of 8-10 average, but up to 20 pups per litter, becoming oestrus every 4 days, and the shortest gestation period of any placental mammal at 16 days, and the ability to become pregnant whilst having a litter, they breed MORE than rabbits. With a compulsion to store food, a small colony could destroy a granary. (Wikipedia)

uncited reports of a single hamster having 25KG of grains in its burrow have been circulating.

I think BNZ have made the right decision, and do a fan-freaking-tastic job...

(Lilia I. De Guzman et al. " Survival of Varroa jacobsoni Oud. (Acari: Varroidae) away from its living host Apis mellifera L.")

Main infestations coming from Europe or USA, where travel time alone (from source, to New Zealand, and then to a working hive) is practically beyond this time limit. This lends itself to live host transmission {(71 +/- 1.1h) for dead worker bees @ 26°C}....etc. etc. etc.

Well said and well referenced. Nothing that I like more than good objective evidence. 8)

Having said that, my biased opinion on hamsters is based on having to treat them in clinic and you have to restrain then like this to prevent getting savaged. Its called making them 'smile.' 'Nuf said.

Ham2.jpg

Image courtesy of http://www.ahwla.org.uk

How so?

Most of the species native to Europe are weedy species that dealt with the last ice age, that or simply naturally spread. Only 3% of the biota in the British Isles is endemic to the British Isles, practically everything there before the last ice age was wiped out, and there has been little specification since.

Humans have been in Europe for millennia longer than they have been here, so what could not naturally spread through Europe has long since been spread by humans. There is little intra-continental spread left.

I don't know much about the US, but I imagine it is similar, though with more deliberate introductions.

As for invasions from outside of continental Europe or the United States, yep, probably similar to here. The number of daily arrivals would obviously be much higher, however the number of species on the Earth that are not in those areas would be fewer compared to the number of species not in NZ.

Ultimately, I fail to see your point.

Maybe because Biosecurities can't possibly prevent every possible incursion, accidental or deliberate, we should rubbish the work they do and allow any cute furry mammal in so you can have another pet?

Yes it is illegal to keep native terrestrial vertebrates (without some serious permits) BECAUSE of the damage wrought on this land by anthropogenic habitat destruction and introduced species. We don't need to make things any worse than they already are.

However check out some of our fish and invertebrates. The invertebrate pet trade overseas is huge and they would kill for what we have on our back doorstep.

My guineapig is a crackup! Never thought I'd have one but had to rescue him from a crap owner, now he's part of the family :)

Did always wonder about the difference, hamster --> Gpig. I always assumed it was the Americans calling a Gpig something different. Everyday's a school day!

There's a huge size difference but also Guinea pigs (cavies) are nice and hamsters are not so nice. See video:

Note how the Guinea pig can't access the bowl of food and how the hamster rolls on its back - it is poising its weapons getting ready to savage the poor Guinea pig!

There's a huge size difference but also Guinea pigs (cavies) are nice and hamsters are not so nice. See video:

Perhaps it's just me but after watching the clip my initial thought was: "if that goes on for too long you're going to end up with a carnivorous gpig" mmmm hamster, nomnomnom