oh fish keepers whats your power bill in the winter

aaron11

June was our biggest bill last year and it is this year too, unit price has gone up 10% from this time last year. Two of us in the house with a fire so no heating power costs.

Was $150 last year in June running one 55gal, and $185ish this year running the 55gal and a 25gal plus we got a dehumidifier about a month ago and that runs probably 8-10hrs a day.

In the summer we run between $100-$120 a month.

Our biggest increase is for hot water, we are on tank water and during the summer the cold water comes out at 12-13deg so I hate to think what it is over the winter!

I use powershop for our power and find it quite good since you can pay as you go during the month so no big bill at the end of the month.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours varies from month to month as they read then estimate on alternate accounts.

Our last account for May was an estimate and $297 but the previous read one was $228.

Compare to summer and January's estimate was $251 but December's read was $227

There is a $46 monthly discrepency in the estimates but only $1 difference in the actual read accounts.

We run the aircon in summer but in winter have the aircon on warm and use a heatpump in one bedroom plus a bathroom heater as well (only when we are in there of course). As someone said, showers are longer and hotter in winter.

We also pay for gas heating in the lounge which is way more expensive than heatpumps :-?

Our latest bill was $260 (after 20% prompt payment) that is with a heatpump running 24/7 the dryer running most the day and 45 tanks running in an insulated garage with heaps of big canisters, dehumidifier running all the time as well out there so pretty happy with that :)

hmmm for me it is $60-90.... and the more expensive one is usually summer with all the fans on the tanks and ice bottles rotating through the tanks and freezer trying to cool them down...

(living on my own, poor student, can't afford heating!)

Mine goes up by about 40 dollars in the winter. But I guess its because in summer we only switch lights on at about half past eight, where in winter we switch them on at about half past five and on dark rainy days even have them on all day. We also run three electric blankets and three heaters so mmmm yeah I would say my little 300 watt heater is not doing the most damage LOL :wink:

Ive only been here a year and this place got 2 lots of insulation so in the summer its very warm !!!!

I have one of those fans with ice in it that helps a tad

But winter same here about 40 dollars extra, But i got a fire but wood cost a bomb 2

I worked out my power for what i use for everything about 150 so the tanks must be about ten each in the winter or less and I have 4

so unless you have 40 tanks or something???

do you use heat pump or dehumifider or moved house also check your hot water

Hmm, I seriously doubt you can blame the tanks for a $315 increase. :)

I cant think what else has changed though, my heater which I used last year isn't plugged in because all the tanks in my room keep it warm enough. Unless we have some kind of power leak. Never had a power bill this high. I thought heating all the tanks, plus all the lighting on 12 hours a day must add up, especially in the case of the garage tanks in the winter, its uninsulated in there. Now I just added the 860 ltr tank to the garage I can expect a higher bill next month too. I'll buy a few of those digital meters and get some readings, if there is a leak I wanna get on top of it asap.

I know several people who run dehumidifiers in fish rooms.

keeps smell down

makes spending time in room more pleasant and for a non subjective...yes everyone this is me being objective

dry air is easier to heat than moist air so costs less....also running of dehumidifier along with lights and the like adds residual heat so dirty great big expensive inefficent heaters dont kick on and off quite so much but hey....why would YOU run one in your room?

Nav

I run a dehumidifier 24/7 as it's much much cheaper to heat dry air. The only heating we use is a woodburner. I have 1 5' tank, and my powerbill is about $190-200 a month. I use a dishwasher everyday, but no dryer.

I don't think $200 a month in winter is bad. It's only about $30 more than summer, and I attribute most of it to longer showers.