Car choice

mac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha, if you +t the sr20 you can blow it up then just but a new sr20 and start again. I think (but double check) that the main issue with the +t is the compression diffrence between the sr20det and the sr20de, as the de has higher compression, so you can take the head off and put a thicker head gasket in to solve the trick

you dont need to worry about a thicker head gasket and yer if you blow it up its only another 300bucks and a days work to bolt it all on

just hunt around if your doing a +t

I am okay with Holden, far from a Ford fan. But find the holdens gutless waste of time. Why only 152kw, from a 3.8v6 mine got much more than that and way faster, and cheaper to repair and cheaper to buy in good nick, but same on fuel.

I not to sure. Got nothing against the Siliva but how can I get more power out. I drove on with none turbo great handling but we bit to slow.

Swap the motor for the turbo? That is a good idea though, to many f###ed up ones around. So something to do up right. The sound of the Nissan Attessa was good. but finding one?

HMM if I can get some good links on modifications that can be done to the Silvia from NZ sites and NZ forums ect ect and the club ect ect I will look way more it them.

Failing that I may get another of what I have and do it up motor wise ect.

mac

www.nissansilvia.co.nz

http://www.nicoclub.com/subpages/articles-main.shtml

join up man everyones keen to help out

so you can take the head off and put a thicker head gasket in to solve the trick

A thicker headgasket will give you a slightly larger margin for error when it comes to tuning by lowering the compression a few points, but it'll hardly "solve the trick". You'll still have a weak bottom end and a motor that wasn't built to run boost, not to mention missing out on all the other things the factory turbo ones (S14 and S15 anyway) come with like bigger brakes.

TBH $5k is a pretty minimal budget for a performance car, and the ongoing costs associated with the kind of turbo car you'll be getting for that sort of money will most likely be pretty high.

Fast, cheap, reliable. You can only have two of those three things.....

I seen way to many blown motors from force feeding. Not me. Just thinking more on it maybe I may get a loan on top of the cash and spend that we bit more.

As for getting a turbo car nothing wrong for me. But the reliability is another. I can get a older one and rebuild but the cost would come up to the same as just spending 7k on a good car. So for me I thinking may just spend more 7k. And that not even out of my reach.

My play money a year is 17k after rent food fuel and other things. So nothing I can handle.

Shall post latter with a list I like and chat over them.

mac

Right for me I like these cars,

BMW 328

Toyota starlet turbo

Toyota levin BZR

Toyota Soarer

Toyota Chaser 2.5 turbo

Toyota camry v6 1997 only

Toyota aristo, but to hard to get. So no.

Toyota Avalon. Seen huge power from them. And thrashing new modified s2000s

Nissan Siliva

Nissan blue Bird attessa

Nissan Primera sr20 200hp only

Nissan Stage rs4

Nissan Skyline turbo gtst

Mits diamante r3.0 m3.0

mits GTO vr4

Mits gallant Vr4 or v6

Honda Torneo type r

Holden 3.8v6 or ss. But not to keen.

VW phassat 1.8t

Mazda who knows.

Subaru legacy b4 1999 twin turbo. And only in blue and only 1999.

peugeot 406 v6 1997-1999 2 door or sedan

And still not sure? Just want a god pros an cons on what I want in thought.

My thoughts are a cruiser. At least 200hp. May consider less depending. Reasonable cornering ability but if not modifiable. Don't want to lower any. Nor add stupid body kits. Nor really wanting to modify the engine adding turbo super charger if it has not got it. Nor really want to rebuild it. But okay with simple fix up.

Just your arm out the window car. With a normal simple car that always looks good. Fixed up sound system.

So any thing come to mind. For me I am really thinking more into the sedan line. Not care how many cylinders bare for yanky amount of cc and size usage.

And I am no saying I want turbo. You can get very good 200hp v6s for 5k.

mac

I have heard there is a large gain that can be had from those 1.8t motors. A 210hp strait away from a re map. Then more from exhaust.

Anyway I want some info on the starlet gt. Above 1992 please.

I have heard there is a large gain that can be had from those 1.8t motors. A 210hp strait away from a re map. Then more from exhaust.

Who ever told you 210hp is bull shitting you. 180hp-190hp and then a quicker spool with a down pipe, dont bother doing full exhaust.

I sell remaps for those cars :wink:

I don't know. To much bs with cars as all over.

That is one thing is I not to cared about the power. Just love the way the wee motor drives. Such amazing car in the vw phassat.

GT starlets are awesome cars, i own a 1990 gt starlet which is quite worked with bigger motor, turbo brakes adusties etc.

Also own a st ae101 levin which is bog standard

Comparing both cars standard, levin bit better on gas, not by much. Levin revs higher, starlet is quicker, handling would be similar. Starlet is alot roomier.

Upgrades are plentiful for the starlet, can use silvia/evo/wrx turbos fuel pumps injectors etc instead of going aftermarket. Can do what ive done and use the 1500 5efhe motor and bolt on 4efte running gear and have a 5efte motor - 1500 turbo

The 4efte motor responds well to upgrades, while not being too flash in standard trim with 7 and 9 psi being low and high boost, small mods such as a front mount with 2 inch pipeing and free up the exhaust and turn boost up to 13psi (13 being most efficient boost for the ct9 turbo and 13.7psi being standard fuel cut) they are very fun and unbelievebly quick for what they are.

Can pick up a worked starlet for 5-6k with link, bigger turbo lsd etc (some people also sell standard ones for this much)

No matter what anyone says about them being girls cars etc they are very quick with basic mods and handle amazing (especially with adjusties..i can do 45km corners at 100 and feel like going in a straight line) and even when worked still easy on the gas.

Their brakes are reasonably good too, just need some good pads and fluid and you will be able to outbrake most.

I don't get it. How come the one I drove has had how I spelt it????

And quite a few I see driving around town. So then it is said more like fat? Or phat but is it sylent h?

I have never seen it with an H

My mate owns one and it has no h

I suggest you google the word "phassat"and tell us what you get

Oh well and I would have posted the link but it is not on Holden Web site down here. But they had one with the ph in it. So I don't know.

Shall take it that way and change how I right it in future.

Yes the Starlet I have to say is not a girl car. I wish it had 4 door. But oh well. When I first saw one I has wanting one. And have seen and been in em a few times. But since then I had not looked at em. But thinking of the mods they are easy. And the one thing I love is the sound of the turbo on it.

Anyway this is a car must. So I am on to one. Got some pay comming over 1k. So that helps a lot.

mac