Car choice

mac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another I like but quite hard to get here but in Oz common is the Blue Bird Attaes turbo.

But as for the Prelude not that I have anything against them or it was just a bad one I would have to keep trying them. Who knows

Another I like but quite hard to get here but in Oz common is the Blue Bird Attaes turbo.

But as for the Prelude not that I have anything against them or it was just a bad one I would have to keep trying them. Who knows

Find a sorted one and they are alllll good :) I love mine to bits!

+1 to the bluebird sss attessa

Can pick them up relativley cheap

4x4 and sr20det !!!!! ultimate sleeper there.

The blacktop 20v levins are sweet cars, with the superstrut suspension and lsd perform well out of the box. and rediculously cheap out of the box and easy on the gas.

can pick up a worked gt starlet for 5k

Come to think of it may be able to pick up a cheap wrx

Yes the Blue bird Attessa is a amazing car. As for the Stralet GT are great to, but we bit to small I think.

As for the wrx I would have to get a STI to make any power.

The more I am thinking I am either if I can find one a Attessa or the Black top. love them. Just love them.

mac

At a guess there would be plenty of crashed ones around for a $5k fun car just do the work yourself :)

I think this thread just comes down to what you like, I don't like the diamantes I think they are big slow and ugly all the ones I have driven have been like that my mate has owned a few and all of them I was able to beat with my 1800 NA DOHC TX3.. But they are great cruisers and really comfy on the open road which is what they were designed for. I don't like the preludes either they just didn't drive nicely and weren't all that fast for a 2.2L would rather go 1.6 or 1.8 vtec in a civic or integra. The integras you drove were they both DOHC vtec? There are plenty of versions of them some have SOHCs which are nowhere near as good.. I am a fan of hondas too have been in quite a few very fast ones, but the black tops are great engines and in a really good package from the factory as Paul has suggested. Unless you are good at fixing stuff I would stay away from WRX's and most other turbos in that range they would be fairly gone by this stage, but advantage is there is alot of parts around for them as everyone crashes them so you could keep one running.

This is an interesting discussion would be interesting to see what you end up getting :)

bite the bullet and get a stagea rs... :P

I recently got a 2001 mitsi diamante advance, great bang for 5000 bucks, goes harder than my commie. Only problem is the fwd >.<

Or get a Ute and throw a 1uzfe in it. you can get engine mount adapters off TM for hilux's and surfs.

MK3 cortinas are sexy things too!

There so much out there at the moment, find something reliable and do it up yourself, that half the fun.

What do you want the car for?

Just a daily that u can thrash?

actual track car?

skid car au?

rusty crusty to fix up?

Might be a bit easier to help you decide depending on application

Having blown thousands and thousands modifying cars it is satisfying doing the work yourself but jees it costs a fortune, my advice...buy someone elses project or buy a car with all the work done

As I said in my 1st post a play car. I should have stated week end car. Not to abuse, although the odd bit of pushing, nor for track day. just a fun nippy fast play thing for the week end. Really in sensible terms a waste of money.

To answer the Integra question. Yes Vtec and DOHC. All off them top model all rebuild modded ect ect. Also driven a Civic SIR and was board with it.

It will be very interesting what I finally get. But once I get the money. And when I do get one I shall let you all know.

What ever I get will never stay stock for long. Got a few mods to do. Most done up cars I find look way to daft. Crazy mags and to shiney. Odd body bits. All I want is simple car which always looks best.

That is one that has never been mentioned. The 1994 Gallant DOHC 2.0v6. They very good. Use to own one. Who nows. Even the 1996 Gallant vr4.

I not sure. Not to fussed on cc size. But prefer most power from small. Prefer 2 door, but can take 4 door. Hate utes, drive them at work and hate them. 4x4 love the 1996 toyota Prado tdi but hard to get for my price in good con. Also no station wagons though the Stagea rs4 are good to.

Many just a matter of pros an cons.

Oh after some sifting around my car top speed estimated 260+ depending on model.

mac

As I said in my 1st post a play car. I should have stated week end car. Not to abuse, although the odd bit of pushing, nor for track day. just a fun nippy fast play thing for the week end. Really in sensible terms a waste of money.

To answer the Integra question. Yes Vtec and DOHC. All off them top model all rebuild modded ect ect. Also driven a Civic SIR and was board with it.

It will be very interesting what I finally get. But once I get the money. And when I do get one I shall let you all know.

What ever I get will never stay stock for long. Got a few mods to do. Most done up cars I find look way to daft. Crazy mags and to shiney. Odd body bits. All I want is simple car which always looks best.

That is one that has never been mentioned. The 1994 Gallant DOHC 2.0v6. They very good. Use to own one. Who nows. Even the 1996 Gallant vr4.

I not sure. Not to fussed on cc size. But prefer most power from small. Prefer 2 door, but can take 4 door. Hate utes, drive them at work and hate them. 4x4 love the 1996 toyota Prado tdi but hard to get for my price in good con. Also no station wagons though the Stagea rs4 are good to.

Many just a matter of pros an cons.

mac

Get a motorcycle.

No car can give the same buzz as doing 200kph with the front wheel a few feet in the air :wink:

Just going to pick out a couple of points here

But the 180hp vtec is a slug. As for the Integra man high revy slugs. I took one out and been in heaps. Not me. Just not me. I dragged one and thrashed it, it was slightly edging forward but once I hit past 100 it lost till I hit my limiter, still got to get the ecu fixed up.

Stock form, yeah they're sluggish, but with the breathing freed up (intake and exhaust) they're a completely different beast. It will take a bit of getting used to driving any high-reving NA motor, I went from a turbo 4wd with loads of power in the mid range, usually shifting at around 6500rpm, to the civic with a b16a where things didn't start getting exciting until 6000rpm. Once used to keeping the revs above about 5500rpm it was great fun.

Mine Diamante dose standard 15.7 sec in a quarter mile in a large saloon, no that slow. My is slightly modded so who knows. My Question is have you ever driven my type of car that may not be sick or got a bad tranny.

To be fair, no I haven't driven that model car, but [without wanting to sound like an arse] 15.7 is pretty slow. even before the b18cr swap, my civic was about 1.3 seconds quicker, which doesn't sound like much but when you see it side by its a big gap (about 50 metres at 140kmh). Not that drag racing is the be-all and end-all of motorsport, tbh I find it a little boring...

Obviously a torqueless motor that needs to scream to get everywhere isn't everyones cup of tea, but in comparison to a 4age powered levin (AE86 excluded of course!), other than "I just like them betterer" I can't really think of a logical reason to pick one over a honda for a 'play car'. At least the honda motors eventually do something exciting, unlike every 20v levin I've been in which seem to just rev with out making any power....

Just going to pick out a couple of points here

Just so know my is a high rpm v6, 7,000rpm. And full power band to. Now to pick your. :D

The Ones I took out civics and teg were way from stock. Full exhaust and intake modified. To me I am use to all types of cars. I drive things from a 8 liter 4 cylinder turbo tractor at 190hp and torque can't even find any records of that. To 2004 maxima to small cars ect ect. So I am very versed in the art of how each engine works. And no matter what the teg was a slug, same with civ I find mivec lancers and mirages better preformers. Maybe they was sick but ever one I drove was the same. Were as with mine power all over the range. And I can burn rubber at normal idle when doing normal take of with out going past 1,500rpm with Traction of.

Mine has had the factory exhaust taken out and fully re done. Spark plugs and oils ect ect, no only that air in take and air filter as well. And full injector additives, and new spark plugs. I know there is a lot more I can do. But don't want to do more to it. Though I know that they are more than able to get over 200kws out of them

But so you know a civic is how much less in weight. And what would happen once the Diamante kicks in to my full power and proper ration and weight issue passed? And the fact was yours auto or manuel and stock? These are stock figures and auto, manuel in min only exist in america and OZ.

[Qquote]Obviously a torqueless motor that needs to scream to get everywhere isn't everyones cup of tea, but in comparison to a 4age powered levin (AE86 excluded of course!), other than "I just like them betterer" I can't really think of a logical reason to pick one over a honda for a 'play car'. At least the honda motors eventually do something exciting, unlike every 20v levin I've been in which seem to just rev with out making any power....

Here I agree 100% and see no reason in why not getting a revy motor, love to let some revs loose. And I would agree that the 4age is a bit slower, but then it is not a 1.8 either.

Now back to mine are you sure your mate is the same as mine? Mine is a advanced model in japan, even thought it is a 1995 it is not the old shape, but the 1995.5 model with full up-graded moter 6g72 same as the GTO non turbo, with the diamante big brother 196kw mivec 3.0m motor.

Wished I could have got the 5 speed manuel, but oh well the auto still shifts just as good, and is 5 speed.

mac

Well, how bogan are you? how about a ford falcon/ holden. lots of grunt, dont worry too much about gas as its only the weekend car. and you dont need to do too much with them and with 5k you can get a decent one or a ok one and spend the rest on lowering it and giving it a matt black spray job

+1 on the silvia, can pick up a manual sr20de with the vvti for under 5k if your not too picky on cars condition

Miss my old one, handle amazing and a real pleasure to drive with good suspension. Drivers seat feels like a cockpit as your nice and low.

Back seat is hopeless for carrying mates but if its just you and gf or a mate then its perfect

Not 200hp like you want but not exactly slow either

I am okay with Holden, far from a Ford fan. But find the holdens gutless waste of time. Why only 152kw, from a 3.8v6 mine got much more than that and way faster, and cheaper to repair and cheaper to buy in good nick, but same on fuel.

I not to sure. Got nothing against the Siliva but how can I get more power out. I drove on with none turbo great handling but we bit to slow.

Swap the motor for the turbo? That is a good idea though, to many f###ed up ones around. So something to do up right. The sound of the Nissan Attessa was good. but finding one?

HMM if I can get some good links on modifications that can be done to the Silvia from NZ sites and NZ forums ect ect and the club ect ect I will look way more it them.

Failing that I may get another of what I have and do it up motor wise ect.

mac

for a sr20de motor there isnt alot you can do really to get major gains without spending a fortune.

can do the sr20det conversion , plenty of wrecked silvias around so parts arnt too bad.

Then there is the sr20de+T, just bolt on turbo gear onto the na motor, doable but not really that smart at the end of the day

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 424905.htm

the first one that appeared after searching turbo bluebird

ha, if you +t the sr20 you can blow it up then just but a new sr20 and start again. I think (but double check) that the main issue with the +t is the compression diffrence between the sr20det and the sr20de, as the de has higher compression, so you can take the head off and put a thicker head gasket in to solve the trick