Fancy Plec ideas

Jennifer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys. I am leaning toward the gold nugget - would have liked a choc zebra but I already have a group of Botia histronica so the polka dots of the nugget might provide more contrast between them. If anyone sees one with lots of yellow on the fins, let me know, I am waiting to find the perfect specimen. :D

Cheers guys. I am leaning toward the gold nugget - would have liked a choc zebra but I already have a group of Botia histronica so the polka dots of the nugget might provide more contrast between them. If anyone sees one with lots of yellow on the fins, let me know, I am waiting to find the perfect specimen. :D

Go into a store and tell them you would like a "queen gold nugget" pleco. You will get the L018 that is what I had, and it will look identical.

Insist that you only want the QUEEN gold nugget and nothing else.

Hmmm, Googling "pardalis" sure comes up with some interesting images. Wouldn't mind any of those! :lol:

Thanks for the tip P44. I kinda hesitate to order one in, I really wanted to see it before I commit in order to make sure it is coloured well and is potentially outgoing. Is that too much to ask?

Have you made any decisions yet Jennifer?

there's no way i can have a fancy plec so will live my dreams through you lol.

:D I think I will go with the L018, it is the one I have been coveting in P44's tank and I think it will look great against the plants. Thinking about getting a pair, is there any way to sex them?

Good choice Jen, Gold nuggets are on my list of favourite pleco's.

They are territorial fish and can be quite vicious towards each other if you keep more than one in a tank.

Having said that I have kept am L018 and an L081 in the same tank for a few years now without any problems and I know of others who have done the same without any problems also.

It's just a possibility that you need to be mindful of.

They are territorial fish and can be quite vicious towards each other if you keep more than one in a tank.

I have 3 L018 in my 5 foot tank, though do have 3 massive pieces of driftwood and they all have their own spot that they like to hang out in and occasionally chase each other up and down the tank - very cool to watch because they swim so differently to my red spot (who is just a big sloth). Mine are approx 8-10cm so will need to keep an eye on them as they get bigger and closer to breeding. Mine aren't quite big enough for me to sex but someone with pleco sexing experience may be able to do it :)

Let me know when you are thinking about ordering .... I'm keen to get a couple more cause breeding them myself is the eventual goal (which gives me an excellent excuse to get a massive tank as well!!)

• 2 weeks later...

from my experiance gold nugget (any of the 3 is a poor choice for a planted or community tank)

1. mine used to strip my sword plants, and I have read other reports of them shreding plants.

2. Baryancistrus (gold nuggets) like warm water , (28 - 30) not the best for plants (yes i know you can keep them in a 24c community tank but they dont do well)

3. bary. need highly oxygenated water, which is hard to do at high temps, so you are gonna need plenty of current from powerheads, not best for planted tank.

4. I have never had probs with multiple gold nuggets fighting, but i have had them bedat up on other similar sized plecs.

If you want to see these guys at their best put them in a warm tank with gravel / sand / bogwood and some shelter stones (bamboo caves are usefull too), add a couple of powerheads to churn things up and remember not to feed to much protein and they thrive.

If you want to have a frustrateing time add them to a planted community of around 24c and feed them community flakes, then watch while they struggle for 2 to 3 years then die...

If you are still looking for a fancy plec to go in a general community style tank i'd recommend a sunshine / goldie L014

http://www.planetcatfish.com/scobinanci ... reatus.php just as colorful, about same price and in my experiance far easier to keep happy and healthy

I have never really liked 239, not for any good reason they just don't 'tickle my fancy' as it where, have never had one so no experiance with them. John at Organisms has them in from time to time, not sure if he has one at the moment although he did have several fancy plecs when i called in today, 2 nice royals, and a L47 plus others