My planted dwarf african tank

Ymir

I always see these amazing tanks of you guys and have to wonder how you manage to do the gravel vacs in a tank like that. Mine consists of gravel and plastic plants which I can take out and wash and then gravel vac. But I would love to have an amazing tank like that one day.

Ok. I have:

Pseudotropheus demasoni

Julidochromis marlieri

Altolamprologus calvus (Yellow)

Aulonocara baenschi

Panaque sp, L204

Blacks whiptails

GBA

It takes me about 3 hours to do a 50% water change and about 2 hours to do a 25% water change. Once the plants rooted into the substrate, you can get a little vigorous with them :wink: .

It takes me about 3 hours to do a 50% water change and about 2 hours to do a 25% water change. Once the plants rooted into the substrate, you can get a little vigorous with them :wink: .

Wow :o Just me being nosy, but do you have to remove all your big rocks as well for the waterchange. I want to make myself a beautiful pleco tank soon, so will have lots of hiding places in forms of rocks and tunnels, I never know whether I must always remove everything or not :wink:

Nope I leave the rocks. The 3 hour one is where I check alot of the weekly stuff and look over the plants as well. I will do a major clean every 4-6 months including the rocks. But otherwise live with it. I just test water every now and then to make sure the nasty toxins are not building up too much. I have been reading some good articles lately about finding a balance in the tank and letting natural processes do some of the work.