80L New Planted project

Morcs

Trying to achieve a nice, peaceful, stunning, low tech, low maintenance planted tank.

Still more plants and fish to go in. Feedback and ideas appreciated.

Its a 90x30x30 (80L) running an aquaclear 50 filter, jager 100w heater (at 26C) aquaone 30W T8 lighting using a powerglo tube.

Water change schedule of around 40-50% weekly, at around the right temp.

The filter is turned right down to reduce surface movement, and will be dosing with flourish about a week after the last lot of plants have gone in.

Fish:

10 x neons

1 x Golden bristlenose

1 x blackline flying fox

1 x pair of albino sunset swordtails

2 x Vieltail blue rams

Still to go in:

1 x male betta (a nice red halfmoon hopefully)

4 x Rio Salinas coryduras

maybe 10 more neons.

Plants:

Twisted vallisniera tortissima

Red ludwigia

Ludwigia

Ambulia

Zealandia sword

Anubias barteri nana

Anubias nana nana

Java moss

Java fern

Java fern windelov

Crypt wendtii

Still to go in:

Dwarf saggitaria

Glosso (probably not going to work, but ive never tried it, so will give it a go)

Crypy Wilisii (nevelli and lucens)

Pics are coming.

Wow that is stunning. :hail: I have NEVER had any succes with a tank that size. I find it too small. My original tank was the same size as yours, but I have now upgraded to a 100cmLx50cmHx30cmW. The plants just went bonkers and choked the surface of my old tank because 30cm was not enough hight. Then this funny bright green algae developed. It went away once I trimmed the plants back a bit. You may want to add another Power Glo or an Aqua Glo becuse the red plants require a lot of light. By the way I love the substrate. What is it? I just use beach sand and dark pea gravel in my tank. Another plant option would be Bolbitis heudelotii. It would look great and really suit your tank. Great choice of fish. In my tank at the moment I have 3 Golden Bristlenoses and 5 Kitty Tetras (Hyphessobrycon heliacus). I have organised 12 Black Neons (Hyphessobrycon herbetaxelrodi) to go in my tank as well. I used to have heaps of fish in my tank until the columnaris outbreak.....

Anyway good luck with your tank :D

Gonna look great when it grows in :D. Although I would flatten up the substrate at the front, gives it the appearance of more depth

you also might want to move the wendtii as well as it gets quite big, and would you happen to know what variety it is?

LIES! You can put them in my tank :lol:

OI! he's buying them for me! :bounce:

that's ludwigia glandulosa. :D its an amazing plant! :D

fish suggestion - the new mossie raboras. order like 25 of them for yourself. i want them but dont have any where to put them.

Luke keeps nagging me to get them everytime I do orders :lol: but they are coming in at 1cm, so yeah would need a lot of them and my budget is much lower than id like.

The rio Salinas corys should be cool though, they should be getting delivered for me tomorrow morning :)

Ill probably ditch the val and spread that glandulosa around a bit more

that's ludwigia glandulosa. :D its an amazing plant! :D
+1 love it, love it, love it.

fish suggestion - the new mossie raboras. order like 25 of them for yourself. i want them but dont have any where to put them.
+1 want them, want them, want them

'nuf said. :roll:

Wow that is stunning. :hail: I have NEVER had any succes with a tank that size. I find it too small. My original tank was the same size as yours, but I have now upgraded to a 100cmLx50cmHx30cmW. The plants just went bonkers and choked the surface of my old tank because 30cm was not enough hight. Then this funny bright green algae developed. It went away once I trimmed the plants back a bit. You may want to add another Power Glo or an Aqua Glo becuse the red plants require a lot of light. By the way I love the substrate. What is it? I just use beach sand and dark pea gravel in my tank. Another plant option would be Bolbitis heudelotii. It would look great and really suit your tank. Great choice of fish. In my tank at the moment I have 3 Golden Bristlenoses and 5 Kitty Tetras (Hyphessobrycon heliacus). I have organised 12 Black Neons (Hyphessobrycon herbetaxelrodi) to go in my tank as well. I used to have heaps of fish in my tank until the columnaris outbreak.....

Anyway good luck with your tank :D

Yeah im going to see what i can get away with a single tube, if that fails i throw a twin T5 unit on it. Gravel is called midnight something, i had a load left when i broke down my 4x2x2.

Gonna look great when it grows in :D. Although I would flatten up the substrate at the front, gives it the appearance of more depth

you also might want to move the wendtii as well as it gets quite big, and would you happen to know what variety it is?

Not sure about the crypt, but thanks, noted, will move it.

The front has yet to be planted so guess ill be having a bit of a shift round next week when i do that too :)

And argh why are jagers so damn long!

I should put in a handful of the new Hagen nano heaters... they are tiny and awesome. Have you seen them yet P44? theres 3 sizes, one for 10l, 17l and 25l. automatic thermostat set to 26c too.

haven't worked in a while. but if they were the fluval ones on PFK i would have read through it.

the mossie rasboras are dirt cheap... and i mean dirt cheap for what they are.

rotate your heater so it sits parallel to the base of the tank about 2 inches off the substrate. That's how i have my 300W one in my 4ft tank.

all you need with the glandulosa is 1 stick per 'bunch'. plant them individually - evenly spaced. mine isn't even dug into the substrate.

Love the tank!

What is the plant right in the middle (by itself) of the tank (foreground)?

Lisa

Hi Lisa, its a crypt, wendtii I think. I had nice green leaves on longer stems around the brown leaves that are there now, but i trimmed them back.

Thanks for the input guys.

I spread out all the stems a bit more, and rearranged a bit. Removed the val. Wont put in glosso or sag, just the wilisii cypts when i get them.

Got my rio salinas corys today, sooo cute! only about 1cm long. supplier only had two though. I wanted four :(

Ill get some new pics up after tea. will see if i can hunt down the corys :D

but then i need co2, and the tank will be overgrown within like a week of trimming (due to the small height)

In this size tank id say its only worth going higher tech for plants that dont grow as tall or as crazily... ie. glosso

but then i need co2, and the tank will be overgrown within like a week of trimming (due to the small height)

In this size tank id say its only worth going higher tech for plants that dont grow as tall or as crazily... ie. glosso

:hail: Well said.